Welcome Inside

The first thing I noticed when we reached the worksite today was the row of children and a woman sitting outside a wooden shed. Their bright smiles welcomed me, so I walked toward them and introduced myself. The woman was first to speak.

"My name is Maria. This is my house and I am so thankful to God and to you for this new house you are building!"

It impressed me how quickly she gave God the glory. She continued to introduce me to the five children sitting beside her, two of which were her own. They all blushed and smiled as I reached down to greet each one with a kiss. I already knew that today was going to be a great day.

Our team of eleven people worked successfully today, not because we were experts at construction, but because we worked together as a functional team. Each person had something that they could do, something that they were good at. Some people measured and cut boards while others nailed them to the framing. Still others carried the boards back and forth. Another team of people mixed concrete while another group dug a ditch around the house. Everyone had a job and a part to play, and the whole day was filled with joyful laughter and positive encouragement. Because of our camaraderie, we accomplished much.

By the end of the day, we loaded up the trucks in the pouring rain. As we drove away, I looked back toward the house where the entire family was standing in a tight group, warm and dry, protected from the rain by their new tin roof. We waved goodbye from the back of the pickup, and every member of that family smiled enormously and waved their arms high in the air. I mentally snapped a picture of that moment. I know I will remember it for the rest of my life. I will also remember the way my heart warmed and melted with joy at that sight.

All these events reminded me of the beauty of the church. This is what the church is all about - a body of believers with different gifts and abilities all working together to build a place of protection, refuge, and hope. It is a place that people can come to and stand under, a place where all belong.

And in the end, it is God who gets all the glory. It is because of Him that this house is built and these people are welcomed inside.

Comments

  1. That sounds wonderful Ashli! God is good!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment