Holy Moments

"Buenos dias, Angelita!" I greeted one of the precious women who works at the Mission, cooking and cleaning for all of us. She stopped in the hallway and wrapped me in a warm, tight embrace. When I asked her how she was doing, she quickly answered that her baby grandson was very sick. From the discouragement on her face, I knew that this was really bothering her.

As I looked into her eyes, I remembered a prayer that I had prayed that morning. Lord, align my heart with yours. Touch my heart with what touches yours.

"Angelita, I want to pray with you." So there, in the middle of the hallway, we went before the Lord together. She held a mop in her hand and I held my backpack for the day's work in mine, but our free arms were wrapped around each other in sisterly love. It was a holy moment.

This wasn't on the agenda. I had a worksite to get to. She had chores to finish. Yet if you asked me about the most important thing I did today, I wouldn't talk about the construction job, the children's art class, or any of the things that were planned for me today. I would tell you about praying with Angelita because it was a holy moment. It was totally unexpected, but divinely appointed. It was an opportunity I could not miss. Something that touches God's heart touched mine.

God is great, not just because He does big things, but also because He does little things - unexpected things - for us personally. When I see Him work in the small places of my life, I think, Lord, you are so kind. You didn't have to do that for me! You are just so sweet! He involves Himself in our daily lives and works in small ways, in holy moments. He works outside of our agendas. Let's not miss these opportunities for they are wonderful gifts wrapped tightly in love from the Lord. That's how I know He is great - not necessarily because He does huge miracles, but because He gives us holy moments.

Comments