A Name To Remember

Today I became an aunt to my new Nicaraguan niece. But before you assume too much about my new title, allow me to tell you the story behind it all.

Last year when I served as an intern in Nicaragua, I got to know a man named Miguel. Miguel works for the mission, and I was priveledged to work along side him often. When I was there, his wife was quite pregnant, but she did not have the baby until after I left. Yesterday, when I saw him for the first time in a year, we greeted one another joyfully. The first thing he wanted me to know was that he had a beautiful baby girl, seven months old. "She is my life, my love." He said with a huge smile. "And you know her name is Ashli. Ashli Michelle."

Today, with honor and delight, I held baby Ashli in my arms. I prayed silently over her, that she would grow to know the Lord and His incredible love. As Miguel watched us, he told me, "You can be her aunt Ashli."


I am honored to be little baby Ashli's aunt. Coming back to Nicaragua has been like coming back to a family. The past two days, I have been reunited with special friends that I have missed so much over the past year. It truly is good to be back.

This reminds me that being a missionary is really all about relationships. When an authentic, loving relationships are the focus of the mission or ministry, sharing the great news about Christ and His desire for a personal relationship with his people just flows naturally out of those friendships.

This summer, I look forward to deepening these relationships to a more spiritual level. (That is something you can definitely pray for, please!) Although it feels good when the Nicaraguans remember my name, the name I really want them to remember is the name of our sweet savior. Yes, it is nice to be recognized and loved by the people here, but the most important thing is that they know and love Jesus Christ.

That is a name worth knowing,
worth being called by,
worth living under.

Comments