Enjoy

"Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever." This beautiful quote actually comes from the Westminster Shorter Catechism, and I love it's simple message. Our goal and purpose in life, that which brings delight to God and joy to us, is to glorify and enjoy Him.

As I rode in the back of a pickup truck to San Antonio today, I marveled at the gorgeous countryside or rural Nicaragua. The morning sun illuminated the green mountainsides. The cool wind blew on my face. The puffy clouds rolled over the corn fields and coffee farms. I thought to myself, I am really enjoying every moment of this.

When we arrived at our construction site in San Antonio, I jumped out of the truck with a sack of goodies. With much joy, I gave a new pair of shoes and school supplies to some of the children in the neighborhood. You might have thought it was Christmas day for those kids, and I can't tell you how many times they thanked and hugged me for those little black school shoes. I enjoyed seeing their smiles and feeling their hugs over such a simple gift.

Even as I was mixing concrete by hand with a shovel while sweat dripped off my nose, I enjoyed the hard manual labor and the sense of accomplishment that came with it, for I knew that this concrete would provide a dry floor for this precious family.

I enjoyed playing duck duck goose with the children in a muddy field during our lunch break. I enjoyed holding their hands and singing songs about Jesus with them.

And when I got tired from working and needed a break, I would sit down with Maria, the mother of the household. I enjoyed speaking in spanish with her, but I also enjoyed sitting beside her in silence when I did not have words to say.

As I was reflecting on this amazing day, I realized that nothing in particular made today extra special. But I just enjoyed it! God gave me breath and life today, and I enjoyed Him in every moment of it.

"Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

I also know that God was glorified today as we finished the house and had a dedication celebration. At the family's request, we sang, shared a Scripture, and prayed together. At the end, everyone exchanged hugs and blessings. Though short and simple, it was most sweet.

I praise God that He creates a new day for us every day. He rises the sun in the morning and puts the breath in our bodies. Only in Him do we live and move and have our being. Most amazing of all is that He gives us the gift of glorifying and enjoying Him - every day and forever.

Comments