Bigger than I Imagine

A quiet, peaceful darkness settled over Jinotega. A few stars twinkled in the twilight sky, but nothing shone as bright as the cross on the mountaintop, which illuminates every evening like the north star. Each night at the end of the work day, everyone gathers on the veranda for our devotional time. As we worshipped together, I looked around the circle at all the faces, some with bright eyes and others with closed eyes. Some displayed huge smiles while others showed sincere concentration.

A gentle chill spread over my whole body, but I am not sure if it was because of the light breeze that blew through the night or if it was because of the beautiful, powerful harmonies in the songs of worship we sang.
 
Tears rolled down as my face as we belted out praises to the only one who is worthy of it all. At the end of this awesome week, it was the only natural and appropriate thing to do, and I have never heard it done with such passion.
 
Then we were asked the question, "How have you grown closer to God as a result of this week?" The floor opened to anyone who wanted to share, and I was overwhelmed with joy as person after person shared how God had been revealed to them this week. God's desire for intimacy with us is too marvelous for words, and He recieves all the glory when His children realize that need for intimacy and take a step closer into His heart.
 
Not only have I been encouraged by others as they draw closer to God, but I have also been pulled deeper into Him myself. I shared with the group that God has used this trip to expand my view of who He is. I wake up every morning knowing that I am going to see Jesus or experience God in some way. Then at the end of each day during our devotional, I will hear forty-five more stories of how God was working. Each one is so different and beautiful that I walk away believeing that God is far greater than anything I could have ever imagined. He is so very big!
 
It reminds of a concersation between Lucy and Aslan in the Chronicles of Narnia:
 
“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you're bigger.”
“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.
“Not because you are?”
“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”

Just when I think I am beginning to grasp how wonderful He is, He expands my view of Him. Just when I think I understand Him, that I am finally getting it, He surprises me once again! He pulls back the curtain and reveals to me that He is so much more than I could have imagined. But if He were small enough to be understood or explained, He wouldn't be big enough to worship.

Oh, how I love Him. Oh, how I stay amazed at Him. He never ceases to awe me with who He is. I don't think I'll ever get enough of Him because He is always, always bigger than I imagine.

Comments

  1. I've never heard that Narnia quote before, and yet it definitely sums up our growing awe of our huge God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment