The Story in the Stitching

I wore my blue dress today, not because I like to wear dresses, but because I like the story behind this one in particular. Whenever anyone compliments the dress and its simple, but vibrant color, it provides me with the opportunity to tell the story behind the stitching.

This past February, my mom (whom is one of my closest friends!) took me on a cruise, just the two of us. We went on the "Girl's-Get-Away" Christian cruise to Mexico, and ended up docking in Progresso after a day at sea. Women flocked off the boat and rippled throughout the small city, hitting all the shops and restaurants along the way. My mom and I were no exception, so we strolled through an outdoor market and enjoyed looking at all the beautiful and colorful souveneirs. I stopped at one little shop in particular to look at the handmade dresses of all shades and fashions. When I said, "Hola! Como estas?" to the woman behind the table, she smiled widely and replied, "Hablas espanol?" (Do you speak Spanish?) I shyly told her that I spoke a little bit, so she smiled again and started rattling off spanish words and phrases at ninety miles an hour. I leaned my ear closer to her, hoping to catch a few words, but my efforts were useless compared to her quick tongue. When she paused after her words, she looked at me with anticipation, probably thinking I understood everything she said. But I had only picked up one word, so I timidly questioned, "Iglesia?" (church?)

"Ah! Are you a Chrsitian?" she said much slower this time (and in spanish, but I'll keep the rest of our conversation in english)

"Yes! Yes!" I enthusiastically exclaimed because I had actually understood her and because, yes, I am excited to be known as a Christian!

"Are you a Christian?" I asked in return. Her answer will stick with me forever. She said, "Yes, I am a Christian, and I see all these women that got off the boat, and I know you are all Christians, too." After she told me about her family and showed me pictures, I bought a simple but beautiful handmade dress as a blessing to my newfound sister in Christ.

I'm not much of a dressy girl, and I don't particularly enjoy wearing dresses or skirts for that matter. But for some reason, I love that little blue dress and the meaning that is sown into its seams. Whenever I wear it, I am reminded of the labels I wear as a follower of Christ, and I am challenged to make those labels recognizable by everyone I come into contact with. May everyone who sees me notice that I am a follower of Christ. May my words, actions, attitudes, and interactions leave people without a doubt as to who I follow. The little blue dress reminds me of that goal every day that I wear it. Plus, whenever people say, "I like your dress," I have a good story to tell.

Comments