God of Comfort

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Do you ever have those verses that jump out at you when you read them? I've probably heard this verse a million times, but for some reason, it really stood out to me in a new way when I read it yesterday morning. When I normally read that verse, I focus on the part about God being my comfort, which is a really great message! But when I read it yesterday morning, something different sunk into my mind and heart. I realized that my struggles aren't just an opportunity to experience God's comfort, but they are also an opportunity to share the comfort of God with others! Reading a truth like that gets me excited about my troubles because I know that God can use them to spread His love.

It is hard for me to read that Scripture and not act on it, so I want to dedicate the next few weeks of this blog to the sharing my struggles and comforts. Getting out of the box and admitting my weaknesses is not going to be easy, but I believe that God can use my stories of suffering to bring comfort to those who might be sharing the same struggles. I share my weaknesses not to boast about my strength or victory, but to boast about the power and grace of our God!

About two years ago, my weakness was unveiled and diagnosed as an eating disorder. After a year of battles, victories, defeats, ups, downs, failures, successes, and everything in between, I have experienced the comfort of God that is beyond comprehension! So these next few posts are dedicated to you, my sisters, who struggle with eating disorders, self-esteem, or body image. I want you to know how much I care for you and understand what you are facing. I am passionately excited about sharing with you over the next few days, and I pray that you will come to feel the comfort of God as you begin to see something more in the struggles ahead of you. Please know that the God of Comfort loves you dearly. He's crazy about you! (Check out Zephaniah 3:17) As I share my story with you, may you come to see how much God has in store for you, too, even in an eating disorder.

Comments