Applauding God

As soon as my mom heard that Chris Tomlin was coming to concert in our city, she knew exactly what she wanted for her birthday. And when she recieved those two tickets, guess who got to be her lucky companion! My mom and I both really enjoy Chris Tomlin's music, not just because of the upbeat rythyms and beautiful melodies, but because of the power behind the words and the notes. Chris Tomlin has been gifted by the Spirit with the musical ability to give voice to our feelings of awe, admiration, and worship to God! The concert was no different - it was a beautiful expression of praise, and it was wonderful to be able to join Chris Tomlin before God's throne.

One thing about the concert really stood out to me, and I want to share it with you. At the end of every song, when the audience would begin applauding, Chris would step back from the microphone and clap, too! By doing such a simple act of humility, Chris Tomlin was directing the glory to where it belonged. Without words, he proclaimed the worthiness of the Lord. I thought you clapped after songs for the singer and his band, but Chris made it clear that God is the one we applaud! We pray to Him and praise Him when we sing, so we should clap for Him, too!

Psalm 89:15 says, "Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence O LORD."

I heard one time that the word "acclaim" can literally mean "to cheer" or "to applaud." Applause is the human way of showing appreciation, gratitude, wonder, excitiement, and honor. When I think about God - who He is, what He has done, and what He promises to do - I realize that He is worthy of the biggest round of applause ever! Every day when the sun rises, let's clap for Him. Every time He answers a prayer, let's cheer for Him. Every time we say a prayer, let's thank Him for His awesome character and marvelous works by giving Him a hand. Every time His Spirit moves among us, our heartfelt response should be a round of glorious applause!

When I got home from that concert, I had the best feeling! My throat was dry and my whole body was exhausted from putting so much energy into applauding God, but my heart and soul were energized and renewed from being in the presence of my Maker. Today, let's look around and be utterly amazed! Let's worship God for His displays of glory and love by giving Him a round of holy applause!

Comments