The One Consistency

Moving into my first college dorm room was even more exciting than I imagined! As I sit here and type at my new desk in my new room in my new town, I'm realize how overwhelming the "new-ness" really is. I am completely surrounded by new and unfamiliar things: new food, new neighbors, a new schedule, new responsibilities...the list goes on and on. My home, my church, my school, and my close circle of friends have already changed. Everything familiar has pretty much been left behind. These contemplations aren't really nostalgic in a bad sense of the word, but they aren't always comforting either. For a girl who has never moved or changed schools or churches, all this moving around is sweeping over me in an overwhelming way. But as I was reflecting on these thoughts a few days ago, God reminded me of a simple, but powerful truth that I had slipped to the back of my mind in the midst of all the change. My relationship with my old friends may change, and my relationship with my family may change. My surroundings are different and my schedule will take a while to get used to, but there is one thing that has not changed one bit - my relationship with the unchanging God. Isn't that amazing? Even though everything else is slightly or dramatically different in my life, absolutely nothing about my relationship with God has changed. Distance, timing, people, and places don't affect His character. He is who He says He is, and He will always be who He says He will be! What a comfort it is to know that He is unchanging, and that our relationship will not change. In fact, the only change in our relationship is one that I look forward to! May we grow closer and closer as I venture into this completely new and unfamiliar time of my life.

I believe change is wonderful because it is full of adventure and opportunity! That's why I am so excited about all the change I am experiencing around me. But this one thing I hold onto with all my heart and soul, that God is forever unchanging, and that His love for me and my love for Him are not altered by any other changing circumstance!

Comments