Reflections From a Bike Ride

When my dad bought a tandem bicycle for our family, I found a new favorite hobby. I've never really been a really great cyclist, but when I hop on the bike with him, it is a different story. Although we are two different people, we are one machine because our bodies are synchronized as our legs peddle together in unison. Just yesterday, my dad invited me to go on a ride with him for an hour or so. I gladly accepted, grabed my helmet and shoes, and climbed on the bicycle behind him. Because our path was several miles and took over an hour, I had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery and the company of my dad, plus I had plenty of time just to think and pray. As I prayed, God directed my thoughts to the bike, and I came upon a wonderful realization - riding a bike with my dad is a lot like my relationship to the Holy Spirit!

The Holy Spirit has always been a little hard for me to understand, but God taught me something on that bike ride about how I relate to and work with the Spirit of God.

When I ride the tandem bike with my dad, he does most of the work. He is the one who steers and sets the pace. When he peddles, I have to peddle with him in the same rythym. When he leans, I need to lean with him to keep the bike ub balance. As long as I follow his lead, I can sit back and enjoy the ride, trusting him to steer and do the rest. Then, I am free to look around me and enjoy the beautiful sites that we see as we ride across the city and forest areas.

When I think about the Holy Spirit, I realize that He is the one in control of my life. He steers and sets the pace. Where he decides to go, I follow. When he speeds up or slows down, I comply. When He leans, I lean with him so that we become one. Isn't that neat? When I let the Holy Spirit guide me, I can sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. I can observe the scenery around me, enjoy His presence, and have a great time. But my relationship with the Holy Spirit is not a lazy ride; no, it's a tandem ride. We work together as He leads and I peddle. It's incredible how working with the Holy Spirit will take you places and show you things that you couldn't ask or imagine!

As I face uncertainties, fears, or temptations in my life, it is comforting and exhilerating to know that the Holy Spirit is steering this bike! Although it is a daily struggle to trust Him, I am learning to declare with confidence the power of the Holy Spirit to guide me. I often want to sit in the front and try to steer and set the cycling pace, but that never works out. In order to enjoy the journey, the Holy Spirit must be in the lead! He never grows tired or weary, and He always sets just the right pace and takes me just the right places. It is my prayer for the Spirit to guide my movements, my thoughts, and my attitudes. And whenever I face trials or worries or doubts, He reminds me to jump on the bike with Him, let Him lead me, and enjoy the ride as He takes me places in my relationship with God that are indescribably awesome!

Comments