#7: Strong Starts and Finishes

The top ten list continues with number seven today! Of all the things I could say and of all the advice I could give, this is one of the simplest and most rewarding tips. As a young lady who has battled an eating disorder, I hope that this small suggestion will offer you some help or comfort in the battle you face, whether that battle it is related to an eating disorder or not.

When I joined the track team, I thought that track was a simple and easy sport. Unlike many athletic sporting events, there are no rules, penalties, or plays to learn in track. To this day, I do not fully understand all the calls or whistle-blows in a football or basketball game, but I can enjoy watching a runner sprint around the track because of the simplicity of the sport. At first glance, I perceived a track race to be easy, but once I began training I realized how much strategy and effort goes into every step. When I began running in junior high, I was surprised to learn that practices and training included much more than just running to build endurance and strength. Day after day, I learned strategy, pacing, stretching, and breathing. Most importantly, I learned how to start and finish strong, for those moments are the most critical and important stages in the race.

I think it no coincidence that Paul compares the Christian life to a race. He says in 1 Corinthians 9:24, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." Strong finishes are important in 1 Timothy 4:7: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." The Hebrews writer speaks of spiritual perseverance when he says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (Hebrews 12:1) One of my personal favorite Scriptures about running is found in Psalm 119:32. "I run in the path of your commands."

You are running a spiritual race where all the rules of track apply. Pacing, endurance, strong starts, and strong finishes are all critical elements in your walk with the Lord through this valley of struggle. My simple challenge and advice to you is this: "run in the path of His commands" with strong starts and finishes every day. When you wake up in the morning, start strong in your relationship with the Lord. For you this may mean spending some time in His Word, in prayer, or in praise. Remind yourself every morning that God's mercies are new. Energize yourself first thing so that you are ready to obey and not slip into sin throughout the day. Start strong right out of the blocks! But don't forget about your strong finish as well. As the day comes to a close, run with perseverence and strength to the last moment. Whether you tripped during the day or not doesn't matter as long as you pick yourself up again and run with the Lord to the finish line. Some days will be successes and other days you might feel like you are in last place, but as you approach that finish line you can always grab the hand of the Almighty God and let Him give you the power to finish your race. Remind yourself at the end of every day that God is with you through success and with you through failure. Learn from the race you ran that day and let it motivate the next race that begins the following morning.

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" every single day. Through every start and every finish, God is right beside you, cheering you on and running by your side. Starting today, embrace the race that you are running in your particular struggle, and depend upon the Lord to provide the strength and perseverence you need each day to start and finish with a bang!

Comments