#10: Gazing at Beauty

I have always been a fan of top ten lists, so I thought it was about time I posted one of my own! For lack of a better term, I could title the next ten blog posts as "Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I Had an Eating Disorder" or "Top Ten Tips from a Recovered Eating Disorder Patient." But to be honest, that sounds a little boring and impersonal. All I really want to accomplish through this series of posts over the next few weeks is to share a little encouragement in a heart-to-heart format. This is not intended to be professional, but personal. Consider these short entries as little pieces of my conversaion with you or as little snapshots of the things God taught me during my eating disorder. They are like highlighted words in my life that I want to stand out in bright yellow. These little glimpses of my heart are written specifically for you, my sisters and friends who may struggle with an eating disorder or self-image issue. May you find practical advice and caring encouragement through these words. However, it is my prayer that no matter what you are struggling with, you will find truth and hope in these simple thoughts.

#10: Gazing at Beauty
In a world full of magazines, posters, commercials, billboards, and advertisements, we are surrounded by the world's definition of "beauty." Airbrushed models with perfect (but fake) teeth, perfect (but fake) hair, and perfect (but fake) bodies cover every sign, every product box, and every TV show we see. From what our culture portrays through media and advertising, we have this idea that beauty is highlighted hair, flawless skin, and thin legs in high heel shoes. I only point this out to say that I have fallen in the trap. Do you ever walk by those fashion posters in the mall and say, "Man! I wish I had hair like that!" Or do you ever watch your favorite movies and compare yourself to the most beautiful girl in each scene? Oh how I wish it wasn't so easy to do, but the trap is so easy to trigger on a daily basis.

The Biblical definition of beauty is so different from what our world tells us. One of my favorite passages about beauty is Psalm 27:4.

One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek Him in His temple.

If you are like me and struggle with keeping your eyes off of those perfect (but fake) models, I challenge you to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord! When negative thoughts about yourself or your body creep into your mind, don't let your eyes wander to those things that our culture says are beautiful. When you are easily susceptible to comparing yourself to others, don't go to the mall or sit down with a fashion magazine. Instead of watching a movie with a computer-perfected women in it, fix your gaze on true beauty - God's beauty!

For me, nothing is more discouraging and distracting than to skim my eyes over things that our world defines as beautiful. Instead of letting those images of false beauty soak into our minds, let's look at things that are really and truly beautiful! Spend time into God's Word, watch the sunset, take a walk outside, play a song, or paint a picture. Replace false images of beauty with displays of God's majesty, creativity, and glory. Once we choose to abandon our attraction to fake beauty and instead gaze upon the beauty of the Lord as displayed around us, then we will begin to see ourselves as we really are - truly beautiful!

Comments