#6: Surround Sound

Here is the next simple piece of advice in our countdown! This tip could be the best one for all the hands-on people out there. I really benefit from concrete and practical ideas, not just words and thoughts. That's why this tip made it in our "top ten pieces of advise-from-an-eating-disorder-patient" countdown.

During the season of my eating disorder, nothing encouraged and supported me more than God's Word. I recieved a shower of hope from reading the Bible, but I receieved a downpour of blessing by actually writing Scriptures out and posting them around me. My bedroom walls, bathroom mirror, locker, planner, and even my steering wheel were all covered in post it notes and index cards containing motivating verses. For me, it was one thing to read the Bible, but a whole other mission to actually remember what I read and live it. In response to my forgetfulness, I began writing out a verse from my Bible study every day and sticking it somewhere that I would see it often. Sometimes I carried it in my pocket or purse, and sometimes I placed it in a special place. Seeing those life-giving words throughout the day sparked my memory and empowered me to live out the message.

I challenge you to surround yourself with God's words...literally. I humbly give these simple words of advise only because I know from experience how much this makes a difference, especially if you are struggling with something such as an eating disorder. Writing and posting God's words around you surrounds you with the sound of God's voice. It is like a surround sound system - no matter where you are, your eyes can see God's words written for you and hear His voice spoken to you.

For such a simple task, it can truly make a significant impact. Try it and see!

Comments