The Unexpected Extraordinary

On some days, my alarm goes off, I get ready for the day, go about my business, check things off my list, and lay down to sleep again. Sometimes daily life can become a monotonous thing. I don’t think it’s a habit that I desire, nor is it something that I intentionally decide to do. I never say, “I think I’ll just go about today like nothing special is going to happen, like I’m not going to make a difference, like I’m just going to have an ordinary and boring day.” But for some reason, at the end of some days, I look back on the 14 or so hours that I was awake and realize that nothing of importance happened.

But I don’t believe for an instant that God designed me to live that way. He came to give me “life to the full” (John 10:10) and a purpose that drives each breath I take. He faithfully raises the sun every morning so that I can experience what real life is like when He is in control. I so desperately want to live that life – life to the full – every single day! One verse to a song by Sara Groves called “Just Showed Up for my Own Life” gives me hope and motivation to see something more in my day to day life.

I'm going to live my life inspired
Look for the holy in the common place
Open the windows and feel all that's honest and real until I'm truly amazed
I'm going to feel all my emotions
I'm going to look you in the eyes
I'm going to listen and hear until it's finally clear and it changes our lives

God is present and actively involved in the daily lives of His children, so I invite you to join me in my quest to find the “holy in the common place.” Through this simple blog, I will be sharing with you my daily encounters with God – the moments where I discover God’s glory and His presence in the unexpected places, the “holy in the common place. “

I’m beginning to think that if we look deeper, we might just see something more in ourselves, our daily lives, and our relationships with God. Let’s open our eyes to see God doing extraordinary things, even on ordinary days. Let’s embrace His purpose, look for His glory, strive to live life to the full, and begin to see something more.

Comments