God's Story: The Endless Story


This is another excerpt from chapter one of my book, Boundless: Discovering God in Your Eating Disorder.

I don’t know the story behind your eating disorder- how it got started, what stage you are in, or what circumstances affected you- but I know that this is not the end of your story. No matter how much you may be struggling, God still has a beautiful story written for you. In fact, He has written a story for you in advance, even before you were born! I am confident that you have only begun a journey that will lead you right into the almighty and loving arms of our Lord and Father.

I am still battling an eating disorder as I write to you, and when my battle is won (which won’t be by my power in any way- all the glory goes to God), my story won’t be complete then either. What’s so amazing is that my story and your story aren’t about eating disorders, but about a God who is righteous enough to save us and loving enough to actually do it. They are stories about the grace and faithfulness of a God who takes our hardships and turns them into wonderful stories of His greatness. They are testimonies about a God who takes His children by the hand and teaches them to trust Him until He is all that they have and all that they need. And these stories are never-ending, lifelong journeys that bring us closer to the heart of an infinite and intimate God. So your story isn’t really your story at all. It’s God’s. God has not only written your story, but He has written you into His Story. He is the author, and it’s all about Him. My prayer for you is that you may discover that His story for you is wonderful because He is wonderful. As I have told you the beginning of my story, I challenge you to consider your story - which is actually God’s story - because I believe with all my heart that God is right in the middle of it all.

I want you to know that in some small way, I have been where you are. I have fought many of the same difficulties that you have. I understand that it’s hard. Although I don’t know everything about your situation, I want you to know I understand that what you’re going through is sometimes frustrating and tiring. I relate to your feelings of discouragement and fear. I understand that an eating disorder doesn’t just affect your meal times, but your relationships and all other parts of life. Know that I am praying for you to be able to see God even in the midst of all the heartache. I am praying for you to develop a deeper faith and a more intimate relationship with God as a result of the trials.

Most of all, I want you to know that God is here for you. I believe that God will work through your eating disorder to bring you more than physical healing, but great spiritual growth. I am telling you now to get ready! God will amaze you at how He will work through your struggle to show you His unfathomable glory and His unfailing love.

God has written your story in advance, and He is working through all your struggles and victories right now to build up to the climax of this chapter in your life. His composition is a beautiful story of healing and deliverance in the name of Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory forever and ever!

Comments

  1. Ashli, i won't lie to you. i teared up reading that, not because i've ever had an eating disorder or anything, but because i have been through struggles and i definatly think your book can touch everyone who knows what it feels like to struggle against yourself. With God's help i also became clean. I definatly want to read Boundless if there is a way i can get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb, I would happy to send you a copy of Boundless! I will put one on reserve for you. Thank you so much for your support.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment