Ekklesia

I used to think that church was all about going to Bible classes and hearing a sermon, but going to Wilderness Trek changed all that. I used to walk into the church building on Sunday morning challengin myself to get the most out of the teaching, but now I have a new attitude.

When we loaded up the church van and I headed out on a road trip to Colorado with several of my senior friends, I had no idea that the trip we were about to take would be such a spiritual milemarker in my life as well. The theme of the wilderness adventure trip was ekklesia, the greek work for church or assembly. As we hiked, camped, rappelled, rafted, and climbed mountains, the thread that was woven through all the events was the cord of ekklesia, of living like the church. When we hiked up steep mountainsides with fifty pound packs on our shoulders, we encouraged one another. When we leaned out over the cliff during the rappell, we motivated and supported one another. When we set up camp and took it down, we all helped each other. And when we sat around the camp fires at night and watched the most glorious display of stars I've ever seen, we loved one another, listened to one another, and prayed for one another. As we lived and breathed encouragement, support, unselfish service, and Christ-like love up there in the mountains, we all agreed: this is what the church should be like.

Now, when I go to church, I have a single goal in mind. Who can I encourage? Who can I show Christ's love? How can I be a support for someone who is struggling today? And what an adventure it is with that goal in mind! I can't describe how fun and fulfilling it is to encourage others - and in turn be encouraged yourself!

Can you imagine what our churches would be like if we all encouraged one another with every ounce of energy we have? Everyone would experience what Christ meant when He talked about a body that is held together with Him as the head. I bet if we put our primary focus on encouraging one another, our sermons, Bible classes, service activities, mission trips, and all other events would take on a whole new meaning as well! We'd probably change the world!

Comments