See Something More in the Mirror

In today’s culture of infomercials, billboard advertisements, teen magazines, and beauty products, it’s easy for a girl to get caught up in the “compare snare.” It is convenient to see the models on the makeup boxes and the compare our own image to theirs. It is simple to compare the number on the scales or on the jeans label to what we are convinced is the “right number.” Because I’ve been there and experienced that, let me tell you – there is something more to see! You are so much more than a collection of numbers or sizes. You are so much more than a body to compare! And it’s time that you begin to see something more in yourself, too!


Nothing brings me more comfort to know who I am in the eyes of my Maker, my Savior, and my Friend, the Almighty God! Listen to what He thinks about you:

Psalm 139:13-14
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Zephaniah 3:17
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Isaiah 43:4
Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you

Psalm 45:11
The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

When you look in the mirror, see yourself for who you are created to be – a beautiful and precious princess who is loved and adored by her Father. Numbers can’t define you when you are satisfied in the love of your King! All the magazines and models are liars, so let that mirror remind you of who you really are.

~You are created by God and loved by Him. His love for you in unconditional, unchanging, and unfathomable.

~You have a purpose that is not determined by how you look.

~You are so beautiful in the eyes of your Creator that you don’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.

~You have been created to be someone only you can be, and you were created with special gifts, talents, and physical characteristics so that you can carry out the plan God designed for you to complete.

~You have value and worth because God fashioned you, and He loves you!

When you are tempted to see yourself through the eyes of the world, I challenge you to see something more. See past the physical barrier and into the heart that God created and loves. And once you fall in love with the heart that God gave you, you’ll begin to see the beauty on the outside, too. May the mirror remind you that every detail of your body is loved by God, and that because of His love, you are free to see something more in yourself. You are free to see the beautiful creation that you really are.

Comments