Incline My Heart

Seeing Something More in God's Word

"It's a love letter" was Joshua's response when he was asked about the Bible. In that movie, Joshua, God's Word is portrayed as a personal book that speaks God's love directly to individuals. I couldn't agree more! God's Word is sometimes viewed as a rule book or a boring collection of really old writing, but when you take a closer look, you will definitely see something more! God's Word is alive and active, applying to life today and bringing hope to everyone who digs into its truths. When you really gaze steadily at the Word of God, you will find encouragement, discover teaching, hear God's voice, and see vivid pictures of how God is involved in your life just like He was involved in the lives of His people long ago. There is so much more to see in the Bible than just a set of rules - there is life, satisfaction, hope, love, grace, truth, light, and treasure to see! So every once in a while, I would like to share with you how God has spoken to me through His Word, His love letter. And maybe you'll see something more, too.

When I was reading 1 Kings 8 the other day, I came across a verse that seemed to shout at me:
1 Kings 8:58 (NASB)
that He may incline our hearts to Himself, to walk in all His ways and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His ordinances, which He commanded our fathers.

I read that verse over and over, but my eyes kept gazing at the first phrase as my mind sorted out what God was saying to me through those words.

Incline our hearts.
Incline our hearts.
Incline our hearts.

As I kept reading it, I began to say it. And as I began to say it, I also prayed it. O Lord, please incline my heart to you. Draw my heart to you until you hold all of it in your hands. Lord, make the only desires of my heart to be near to you, to follow you closely, and to love you. And then, may the focus of my heart penetrate the thoughts of my mind and overflow into my every action. What a difference that would make in my life, Lord! Please incline my heart to You.

Such a simple verse, but such a powerful message. When I opened my Bible that morning to read out of 1 Kings, I had no idea that God would reveal to me such a treasure. If I'm not even looking for it and God shows me something that life-impacting, how much more will I see when I am actively searching and digging for those treasures in His Word daily. It's a powerful love letter written directly to you and me, and it's full of beautiful sights so that we can see something more.

Comments