Masterpieces

See Something More in People

I'm reading a great book that I would highly recommend called "More Ready Than You Realize" by Brian D. McLaren. In the chapter I read today, there were some great thoughts about God's creation that really touched me. I would like to share with you a brief quote from the book about viewing the world as created by God.

"As we walk through the universe, we are not just encountering meaningless stuff; rather, we are walking through an art gallery, filled with objects full of meaning, expressiveness, revelation of the Creator's heart, intelligence, compassion, whimsy. In addition, we are never walking through bland "public property" that "nobody owns", but rather we are always on God's private property, and evrything we encounter belongs to God and matters to God...God cfeated the heavens and the earth, and that fact means that everything had meaning."

Imagine what it was like to be in the garden of Eden, walking through God's art gallery of everything he made. It's so easy to view everything as sacred, as specially made by God. Somewhere between then and now, we've lost that attitude, that perspective. It made me think about the way I treat people. When you look around at all the different people and their characteristics and personalities and strengths and gifts, you can't help but marvel at the artistic creativity of our loving Creator! It challenges me to treat each person I meet as if they are a masterpiece of God's hand - because they are! Just like I wouldn't smash a sculpture or rub my greasy fingers all over a painting at the art gallery, so I must treat every individual with respect, love, tenderness, and grace. After all, they are a beautiful work of God. Each one matters much to His heart, and it should matter much to mine.

Comments