What it must be like to be in love

"I have some news! The outside temperature is officially 54 degrees!”

Rachael gave the daily weather announcement just like every other morning, but this particular morning her voice rang with excitement. I happily threw the t-shirt that I just pulled out back into my drawer and exchanged it for a warmer fall top with a jacket. I peeked out the window and could almost tell that the air was cooler. Two little leaves in the tree outside the window had turned bright yellow, and they glistened in the morning sun. As I stepped outside to walk to my 8:00 class, I inhaled a deep breath of crisp air and could feel autumn in my chest. Oh how I love the season of fall!

Soon, the leaves will be turning into their full and deep shades of warm color. Girls will start wearing their colorful scarves to class. Red, orange, and yellow tones will color the department stores, and pumpkins will arrive on all the Searcy porches. I notice a complete change in the atmosphere when fall arrives. People spend more time outdoors, they break out their fall clothes, and they carry coffee cups around campus. The daily attitude becomes one of warmth and contentment.

Through the beauty of creation this autumn, God has been reminding me how beautiful, whole, and comforting His love is. In this season of my life, He keeps whispering in my ear how much he desires to have a relationship with each and every one of his children. I will confess that recently I have been seeking the approval of man. I feel the need to impress people, to please people, to get people’s attention. However, God has been gentle tapping me on the shoulder and reminding me that He is the only one I need. I have been trying to win many hearts, but God has convicted me that I only need to seek to win one heart: His.

God is crazy about each of His children, and that means you and me! He has lavished His love on us (1 John 3:1) and sold everything he has to purchase us , who he considers his precious treasures (Matthew 13:44). God’s Word tells us that we have already won His heart. Now He wants to win ours!

In this season of romance, fall in love with your Maker. You’ve won His heart; now let Him win yours. He already treasures and values you immensely, so adore Him in return! He deeply desires to have a personal relationship with you, so draw near to Him in love.

As I go outside and feel the embrace of the beautiful fall weather, I think about how much God must love me. When I watch the trees change color and sun set in glorious flares of color, I realize that He must care about me. When I watch Him work in my life, I am convinced that He wants to have a personal relationship with me. With the evidences of fall surrounding me, I can’t seem to get God and His incredible love out of my mind! Although I’ve never really felt this feeling or this attraction before, I think this must be what it is like to be in love.

Comments