An Opportunity that I Just Can't Miss

I never thought I would find myself here. The gymnasium was packed with people, all huddled together according to the colors on their jerseys. The buzz of everyone's voices bounced off the gym floor and created an excited hum. My eyes scanned the room for pink and green, and when I spotted them in the corner, I walked over to their huddle with a bounce in my step and a smile on my face.

A year ago, I vowed to never join a social club, but here I was, mixing and mingling with the ladies of Chi Omega Pi, hoping to find some new friends. Whenever people would ask me, "What makes you want to join a club?" I would begin by saying, "Well...It's kind of a long story..."

A year ago, I saw clubs as huge cliques. I didn't want to be indentified by the colors I wore, and I thought the whole organization was silly. But my summer in Nicaragua changed the way I view things. Because everything I experienced there was an opportunity to be a light for Christ, I have brought that mindset back to the Harding campus. What I used to see as a clique, I now see as an opportunity. Will I become a part of a clique by joining a club? Will it become my identity? The answer is only if I let it. And I will not because I am not doing a club to be cool, to fit in, to impress people, to win favor, or to make a name for myself. I see it as an opportunity, and I want to shine through it. I learned in Nicaragua that building relationships is the best approach to mission work, so I am seeking those relationships in order to be an ambassador for Christ.

It is funny to me how God has changed my direction completely around. What I said I would never do, I am currently in the process of doing with a joyful heart. God has allowed me to see something more, to see past the weaknesses of the social club system, and to see an opportunity that I don't want to miss - an opportunity to be a missionary.

Just like God cleared my vision, I pray that He will open your eyes to see all the opportunities He is putting in front of you daily. May you begin to see something more! It's an opportunity you don't want to miss!

Comments

  1. Seriously?!? We need to chat. I just read these and thinking WMW, nursing, clubs. I can relate to all these thoughts.
    I told myself that I would NOT be active this semester. I chatted with Jenny Krone last spring(if you haven't met her, do so) and remember telling her how torn I was with Chios. I didn't feel like I needed to be there and then she explained how she had seen similar feelings but instead God showed her how much clubs are a ministry.
    After the first week back, I was still hesistant about being active but then I went to Jenny's devo and heard the small group of Chios hungering and thirsting after Jesus. I knew that I couldn't abandon them and that God could teach me things from this group of girls and He IS doing so. I may not have much time to go to functions, etc. but those acquaintances I have with this group of girls has allowed be to develop one on one relationships with girls in order to lift up and encourage them in their walks. I'm not a die-hard club loyal person but I am die-hard for relationships and pushing people towards Jesus. It's so encouraging when your heart changes it's motivations and turns instead to giving God the glory in every earthly pursuit.
    I am encouraged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, you are so right! Before this year, I had never thought of clubs as a ministry. I have to say that I am not a die-hard club person either, but I love how you say that you are a die-hard relationship person. That is what God has been molding me to be, which is why I am hopefully joining your club. Thanks for your wonderful example as a relationship-builder/missionary. I am becoming more and more convinced that one-on-one relationships are the foundation for ministry, evangelism, and the building of the kingdom of God. Thanks for hanging in there and making such a big difference in the lives of the girls in you club!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment