One Hundred Stickers

Last night as I was working on my scrapbook from my summer in Nicaragua, I was also reading my journal as it corresponded with the memories in the pictures. The fun part about re-reading my journal is uncovering some of the memories that I had slipped from my memory. One of those memories popped up last night and brought a smile to my face.

June 14 was my first day to ever experience a medical mission clinic. Medical missions are my passion, so as we loaded the bus that morning to drive to our site, I was squirming in my seat with excitement. Little did I know that approximately five hundred patients would be waiting outside the gate for us when we arrived. Because the clinical space was so small and the medical brigade was outfitted with all the professionals and equippment that they needed, I did not personally get to help with anything medical all day long. At first, I was frustrated that I didn't get to take blood pressure or learn how to give a shot. I was disappointed that I didn't get to stand beside the doctor or help in the pharmacy. I really wasn't even given a job at all.

As I stood in the yard of the clinic, looking at the busy physicians and long line of patients, I really wished there was something I could do to help. Then the Lord reminded me that there is never a moment when there is not an opportunity to serve Him. In other words, there is always something I can do to show others the love of Christ. With a new attitude and a new mission, I reached in my backpack and pulled out a sheet of one hundred smiley face stickers. As children waited in the waiting area, I read them a book and then gave each child a sticker. As kids waited for their parents, I colored with them and then gave them a sticker. I  held babies and gave them stickers. Sometimes, all I could give was a hug...and a sticker of course. By the end of the day, my sticker sheet was completely empty. As I rode home on the bus, the realization settled in: I had hugged, held, or touched one hundred people.

There is never a moment when you cannot love or serve someone in the name of Jesus. You may feel useless or frustrated with your situation. You may even be bored with life. Just look up and notice that you are surrounded by opportunities to touch people, whether is it a literal hug, a word of encouragement, a helping hand, or a guesture of kindness. You might even consider carrying a sheet of stickers.

Comments