Leaning on Love

The following is an exerpt from my book titled Boundless, which I am working to publish. This section is part of a devotional about brokenheartedness.

When my friend skipped toward me after church one day, I could tell by the sparkle in her eyes and the giggle in her voice that she had exciting news to share. She couldn't wait to update me on the latest report concerning the young couple that had recently formed in our circle of friends.

"You won't believe what I saw them do!" She exclaimed with pure and innocent delight in her eyes. "It was so sweet!"

\Eager to hear about the romantic scene, I asked her to explain, but instead she moved closer to me and gently laid her head on my shoulder. She snuggled up close to me and whispered gently, "They did this!"

That sweet, innocent, and tender display of affection brought a smile to my face. There is something special about the moment when a girl leans her head on the shoulder of her boyfriend for the very first time.

I experienced another one of those touching moments on a sunny afternoon when I watched an elderly couple walk into a restaurant together. The little woman with her faded pink skirt and white knitted sweater hobbled along with tiny footsteps, but both of her frail arms were wrapped tightly around her husband's outstretched arm. Leaning against him, she steadied her faltering footsteps. Together, arm in arm, the elderly woman and her compassionate husband of many years walked slowly, but confidently down the sidewalk and into the restaurant right in front of me.

Walking behind them, my heart smiled with joy. It was such a precious sight to behold the devoted husband supporting his bride's every step as she snuggled up against him. Although I was in a hurry, it was a plesaure to walk slowly behind them and observe their refreshing display of love.

Song of Songs is a book of the Bible that overflows with these touching moments between couples. The book centers on the relationship between a lover and his beloved, which can be paralleled to the friendship between God and His daughters. Just like my friend couldn't wait to tell me about the sweet sight she witnessed, so the friends in Song of Songs 8:5 gathered to talk about the romance between two lovers that they knew. They spotted the beloved with her lover, and with excitement they said, "Who is this coming up from the desert leaning on her lover?"

Can you picture this passionate moment? Like the climax of a great chick-flick love story, the fair lady leans on her prince charming as they stroll together in front of a colorfully vibrant sunset! (Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic, but you get the picture!) Your relationship with God is like the companionship between these two lovers. As you come up out of the desert of brokenheartedness, you can lean on your lover, Jesus Christ, as you take each small step with Him by your side. He is the love of your life, always walking beside you and supporting you.

To break free from brokenheartedness is to lean on the love of the Lord. In each small step you take in the desert valleys of brokenheartedness, wrap your arms around your heavenly Father and lean all your weight on Him, letting Him hold you and lead you.

Comments