A New Vision

In the past few months, I have experienced a renewed appreciation for hymns. For some reason, I used to think that the songs in the hymn book at church were too old , too slow, and too out-of-date, but now I regret ever letting those thoughts creep into my head. Although I love the new songs that we sing at devotional gatherings, there is something that you miss out on if you neglect the hymns. The more I sing them, the more I feel their richness. They have a way of expressing the emotions of my heart, giving my love for God a voice. They speak to me in ways that make me aware of God's truth and His presence in my life. Sometimes, I can almost hear the angels singing along.

There is a hymn in my heart today that I want to share with you, and I hope that it gives wings to the words of your heart.

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light

Be Thou my wisdom, Thou my true word;
I ever with thee, Thou with me Lord.
Thou my great Father, I thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle shield, sword for my fight.
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight.
Thou my soul's shelter, Thou my high tower.
Raise Thou me heavenward, O power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory's won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heavn's Son!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.

Today is not an ordinary or regular day, but a day saturated with the presence of God. Today is not a boring continuation of monotonous activities or mundane tasks. May God give you a vision today, an awareness of His presence surrounding you. May this day be filled with purpose and passion for the Lord as He fills every moment with the light of His presence! May we be one with Him in vision, thought, wisdom, and action

May He give you a vision. May He be your vision. May you see something more.

Thou and Thou only, first in my heart. High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art!

Comments

  1. eading this i thought of my favorite hymn of all time so i decided i'd post it as a comment. i'm not sure if you wanted people to post hymns that mean something to them on here, so you can delete this if you feel it takes away from the point of the post.
    here are the words:

    How deep the Father's love for us,
    How vast beyond all measure
    That He should give His only Son
    To make a wretch His treasure

    How great the pain of searing loss,
    The Father turns His face away
    As wounds which mar the chosen One,
    Bring many sons to glory

    Behold the Man upon a cross,
    My sin upon His shoulders
    Ashamed I hear my mocing voice,
    Call out among the scoffers

    It was my sin that helf Him there
    Until it was accomplished
    His dying breath has brought me life
    I knoww that it is finished

    I will not boast in anything
    No gifts, no power, no wisdom
    But I will boast inJesus Christ
    His death and resurrection

    Why should I gain from His reward?
    I cannot give an answer
    But this I know with all my heart
    His wounds have paid my ransom

    it is one of the most humbling songs i have ever heard and it speaks what my heart feels often: that i have nothing and that he gave me everything because he loved me. while i was still a sinner he died for me. nothing turns hearts like love, and his love is more amazing than i can fathom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Caleb, for posting that beautiful hymn. I have always loved that song, but it was only a few days ago that I learned it was an old hymn! May we never lose the power of those precious songs, no matter how old they are.

    For everyone else, please feel free to comment by posting the lyrics to any hymn that has meant something to you. I would love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment