A Dare

I just finished reading Isaiah in my Bible, and I have discovered that it is one of those books that is just plain hard to grasp at times. It is very easy to get lost or confused in the prophesies woven through its chapters, but I am reminded of something a friend shared with me one time. Together, we were studying the book of Isaiah with a group of peers, and we were meeting each week to discuss what we had read. On one particular week, we found ourselves gathered together with nothing to talk about. We had read a difficult section of Isaiah, and no one really knew what to do with it. After tossing around a few ideas about the passage as a whole, one girl spoke up and said, "It's like God is saying, 'I dare you to find someone better than me.'"

After a few moments of silence as we let her comment sink in, we all began to see the truth in her statement. Among all the confusing prophesies, predictions, and preachings, Isaiah says over and over again that there is no God like our God.

To whom, then, will you compare God? What image will you compare him to?
Isaiah 40:18

"To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.
Isaiah 40:25

Who then is like me?
Isaiah 44:7

I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.
Isaiah 46:9

To whom will you compare me or count me equal? To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?
Isaiah 46:5

It's like God is issuing a double dare to all of creation! See if you can find something greater than Him - something or someone that can love you, redeem you, free you, guide you, comfort you, or satisfy you like He can. See if you can find something or someone with more power, more sovereignty, more glory, more holiness, more righteousness, more grace, and more love than our Almighty God! Listen gently as the LORD whishpers to you with love...

I dare you to search;
I dare you to seek
For someone more holy and loving than me,
Someone to hold you, redeem you, and free you.
In all of the world, I know you will see
I am the LORD, there's no god but me.
I dare you to find someone greater than me.

And when you are done searching, may you find that He is the only source of all you need. Though we often look elsewhere for satisfaction, His arms are always open wide to welcome us back to where we belong - in the wonderfully powerful and gentle grip of His incomparably great love.

Comments