Confession of an Obsession

I have a confession to make: I eat way too much candy. When Halloween rolls around and they start selling candy corn at all the grocery stores, I go a little bit crazy. You see, it's my favorite candy, and they don't sell it all-year-round. That means that the month of October is the time to satisfy my craving. During October, squirrels may collect nuts for the winter, but I buy as many bags of candy corn as it takes to last me all through the upcoming year. This year is no different. I ate through the first bag in two and a half weeks all by myself, and I have four other bags on reserve. (I'm telling you, it's bad.) This weakness is not helped by the fact that I keep a bag of candy corn on my desk all the time. As I'm working or studying, I'm snacking. I tell myself, Okay, Ashli, only one more handful. Then after I eat those, I say, Okay Ashli, only three more. After I eat those three, I say, Okay, for real this time, only three more! And it goes on and on until I finally grab the bag and hide it in the closet. As long as it's not right there in front of me, I have a decent amount of self control.

On a different note, I am struggling with a more serious matter. I praise God that He has helped me develop the daily habit of reading my Bible in the morning, but recently I've had a hard time remembering to apply what I've read to my life. I will read something first thing in the morning, but then I'll forget about it the rest of the day. Sometimes I won't give a single thought to God's Word and its role in my life. It frustrates me because I want to remember and apply what I read every day, but I just get busy and forget all about it. The Lord gives us His Holy Spirit to remind us of the things He said (John 14:26), so I prayed this week for the Holy Spirit to flood my memory so that my Bible study in the mornings will produce fruit in my daily life. Oddly enough, the Holy Spirit taught me something about this through my addiction to candy corn.

So I'm struggling with two things: getting too much candy corn and not enough of God's Word. When I'm eating too much candy corn, I just have to put it away. So if I want more of God's Word, why don't I set it out? Today, I have replaced the bag of candy corn on my desk with an open Bible. Maybe the more I see it, the more I'll take hold of it. Soon, I'll start to crave it, and the more I crave it, the more I'll be reminded of its impact on my daily life.

Comments