A Very Special Scripture!

At one point in your life, you might have heard a Christian talk about how important it is to read the Bible. If you grew up in a church, this was probably hammered into your beliefs at a young age. Although the phrase, "read your Bible", may seem powerless because we hear it so often, I can't go a day without living out this command. When I struggled with an eating disorder, the most valuable thing I ever did was read my Bible.

The power of God's Word is something you come to recognize, experience, and love when you actually dig into its pages every day. From experience, I know that its words are alive! They carry meaning, truth, encouragement, conviction, and life that is so deep, so refreshing! It's one of those things that God will show you personally when you devote your time, energy, intellect, and heart to the study of His marvelous book! It's so wonderful that I can't explain it - it's one of those things that God will reveal to you on a personal level. But I can at least give you an example of how God's Word came alive to me during the season of my eating disorder.

On one day, I remember reading this Scripture in my time of daily devotion:

Philippians 1:18b-20
Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

I stopped and read it again...and again...and again.

In that moment, I felt like God had written those verses in the Bible just for me! And I knew that He had led me to those verses on that particular day for a reason. I refuse to believe it was a coincidence; i was God's way of speaking to me! What other words are more encouraging to a girl with an eating disorder? I adopted Philippians 1:18b-20 as my theme passage, so I committed it to memory and recited it to myself whenever I felt the pushes and pulls of an eating disorder grab hold of my attitudes, emotions, thoughts, or actions. Listen again to these wonderful words from our almighty and loving Father, and pray these prayers with me!

What has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance...
O Lord, I trust that you will deliver me. I believe that what is happening in my life right now will turn out for good because I know that you are good. I trust you to deliver my spirit from anything that is keeping me away from you. I trust you to deliver my mind from negative thoughts. I trust you to deliver my body from any physical health problems.

I eagerly expect and hope...
God, it is hard to wait and hope in difficult times. Even though I am struggling, I put my hope in you and I expect you to reveal yourself to me in this season of my life.

that I will in no way be ashamed...
Sometimes I feel so ashamed and weak, God. Please take away my shame. You created me! I am fearfully and wonderfully made! Mold me more into your image, and help me to love the person that you made me to be.

but will have sufficient courage...
Lord, you are the source of courage. There is no other thing that can truly satisfy me besides you! Lord, I run to you and ask you to fill me with courage to fight the battles ahead of me.

so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body...
May you be exalted in my body! Please help me to treat my body with respect. I want you to make your home in my heart, and I want you to use my body to serve you. I commit to loving my body and treating it in a way so that it will be healthy, strong, and ready to serve you. Amen!

It is my prayer that you will find the Bible, God's Word, to be your source of life and encouragement! As you read it every day, may God show you a Scripture that you can adopt as your special verse! (like Philippians 1:18b-20 is special to me!) And may you discover God's deliverance in your life as you hope in Him. May you not be ashamed, but have courage so that Christ will be exalted in your very own beautiful body!

Comments