A Sabbath's Reflections

When the week's schedule gets hectic and the items on my to-do list accumulate, I always look forward to my Sabbath day walk. You might call it a "Sunday stroll," but I like to think of it as my own type of Sabbath tradition. The only way I can rest from my work is to leave it on the desk and escape for a while - so I take a walk.

Today, as I was walking outside in the cool fall weather, God reminded me of all the things He has done for me this past week. I remembered in the Old Testament that God often called His people to write down His words, record His works, and build alters and memorials so they wouldn't forget what He had done. As I reflected on my week and its events, I felt a tug of my heart to write them down so I would never forget how wonderfully faithful God is to guide me.

This post is simply a journal entry of my heart, a personal testimony to what God has done in my life this week that I don't want to forget.

~ This week brought some joy as well as some stress and frustration, but God was there through it all. I'll never forget how exhausted and tired I was - emotionally and physically - as I crawled in my bed at 11:00 PM one night after a three hour chemistry test that I didn't feel too good about. My pride was hurt and my emotions were broken, but I envisioned God's arms around me and He rocked me to sleep. He gave me peace about chemistry, whether I succeed or fail.

~ Ever since I came to the college campus, I've been praying for God to give me the ability to make meaningful friendships. It hasn't been until this week that I have finally witnessed some of the fruit of those relationships. I'm beginning to recognize faces, remember names, and create histories with people. I don't feel like an unfamiliar face in an unfamiliar place anymore. Thank you, Jesus!

~ I've also been praying to find God's purpose for me on this campus. I've been waiting and watching for opportunities, and God finally gave me a few this week! Since I'm getting to know people, I'm also finding ways to reach out to them and encourage them. Some of the highlights of my week were: praying with a girl on my hall who was burdened by the death of a loved one, having a devotional in my dorm room at night, and tutoring a highschool girl on Tuesday afternoons. I pray that God will open my eyes to see where He is working and that He will enable my hands and heart to make the most of every opportunity, no matter how small. I used to want to do something BIG for God, but now He's teaching me that He can use me in small ways to bring Him glory. I believe that God is teaching me how to be a "daily missionary" that makes the most of every opportunity in relationships and everyday events.

~ Thank you, Lord, for helping me get connected this week. What a blessing it has been to attend a wonderful girls Bible study on Wednesday nights! I used to be overwhelmed when it came to finding a Wednesday night Bible study, but you brought me to the right one on the first try! I wasn't even going to go until Emilee invited me at the last minute, and now I'm going every week and loving it!

~ Thanks, God, for letting me play in the praise band for your glory. Thank you for bringing people into my path that have invited me to things like "The Exchange."

So God is forever faithful. He answers prayers in ways that I wouldn't expect, and He works in my life whether I'm overwhlemed or overjoyed. He's slowly revealing His purpose for me, and I'm learning to see things from His perspective and not my own. I used to be stressed out about finding a church home, making friends, balancing school work, and finding my mission/purpose on campus. But now I'm letting God make a way for me. That works a lot better than me trying to tell Him what He needs to be doing! As I refected on my week during my Sabbath's day walk, God reminded me that He is slowly and steadily involved in my life. It hasn't been fireworks like I thought it would be, but He's beginning to help me hear His gentle whispers and follow the gentle tugs of His beautiful Spirit.

Thanks, Jesus, for working in my life. Because I wanted you to do something big, I didn't expect you to be so subtle, but thank you for slowing me down this week and teaching me to be still and know that you are God, always working and always loving. Thank you for having a purpose for me, even when its not what I expected. Thank you for teaching me to wait on you, and thank you for being there with me no matter I am facing. Help me to never forget how wonderful you are to work in my little life. I love you, too.

Comments