The Lady in the Library

When I approached the librarian desk to check out my books, there was a war going on in my mind. Every little thought was fighting for my attention and my head was spinning from the inward battle. I had just returned from my 8:00 chemistry class. I was probably supposed to learn something about molar mass and percent composition during that hour, but as the result of a conversation with my professor, all I learned was that I had messed up in the lab the day before and there was nothing I could do to correct it. It didn't help that I had taken a three hour chemistry test the night before, and I was already worried about that test grade. Now I had another bad grade in my lab on top of that. As I was walking out of the class room, I dropped my remote (a fancy tool we use in academic classrooms these days) and broke it, so now the batteries won't stay in. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I officially hated all things chemistry.

So I headed off to the library in a huff, hoping to grab a few books for my research paper and go back to the dorm. When I was ready to check out my books, so many thoughts - about chemistry and grades and classes and school and all the things I had to do - were bashing around in my mind, competing for my attention. I guess the girl behind the check-out counter could tell that I was angered by the fact that I couldn't balance my pile of research books, chemistry binder, calculator, and broken remote (with batteries spilling everywhere). Thinking back on it, it was probably a pretty humorous sight to see me trying to carry all that stuff around! She helped me out by taking the library books, and as she scanned each one, she sincerely asked, "How has your week been?" Frazzled, I couldn't help but tell her how frustrated I was with the stress I had felt the last couple of days. Before she could respond, I followed by politely asking her, "And how has your week been?" With the brightest smile and a gleam in her eyes, she said, "Thank you for asking!" Her amount of enthusiasm told me she really did want to tell me about her week. "God has done a work in me this week! He has been drawing me closer to Himself, and it's been amazing!" Her honesty, excitement, and boldness in answering such a simple question caught me off guard. But almost immediately, her contagious awareness of God's presence spread to my war-torn mind. A smile wiped across my face and I looked that librarian right in the eyes. Suddenly, all the battles and worries within my mind screeched to a halt. "Thank you," I told her slowly, "for sharing that with me today. My day is better because you said that." As I picked up my books and turned toward the door, she called out after me and said, "May your day be filled with Christ!"

I walked to my dorm at a much slower pace as I reflected on my encounter with the librarian girl. God had spoken truth to me through her, and it all happened right at the moment when I needed it most. (God is great at doing that, isn't He?) All the thoughts about chemistry and grades were silenced as my mind was filled with the only thing that really matters. May your day be filled with Christ, too.

Comments