Practical Tip #2

Note: This series of posts is what I like to call "Practical Tips" for girls like me who might struggle with negative attitudes towards their bodies or their weight or food, whether that comes in the form of an eating disorder or not. See an earlier post for the first practical tip.

Practical Tip #2: Thinking of Food as Fuel!

Temptation always creeps up on you in the moments where you feel most vulnerbale. For me, that seems to be around food. My eating disorder triggers around mealtimes and snacktimes, and it causes me to think negative thoughts, or "eating disorder thoughts", about myself or the meal in front of me. If you relate to this in any kind of way, let me share with you something I learned from my counselors at the clinic I attended.

Think of food as fuel.

For me, I was tempted to not eat enough. When I began to think of food as the fuel I needed to serve the Lord and obey Him, I experienced mealtimes in a whole new way. My meals were no longer times of sadness or anger, but times of joy as I thought about all the things I could do for God because of the energy I was putting into my body!

Or maybe you are tempted to eat too much. If that is the case, think of it this way: God has given you a beautiful body that can serve and worship Him all the time. But when your body is healthy and balanced in diet, then you have that more more strength and stamina to serve Him with your "heart, mind, soul, and strength."

Pray about your attitude toward food, and begin to see your body as a gift from God that can be used to serve Him. May the food you eat be just what your body needs to serve God to the best of your ability!

Thank you, Jesus, for what you have done for us. Thank you for making us in your image and loving us unconditionally. Most of all, thank you for sending your son to die for us, so that we can have a right relationship with you. Wow, God, you have done so much for us. It is the least we can do to honor you with our bodies. Please give us the strength, Lord, to fight temptation and choose to nourish our bodies in a way that is pleasing to you. We want to have the energy and strength we need to serve you with all our hearts, all our minds, all our souls, and all our strength! Thank you for being with us and helping us all along the way. In Jesus name, Amen!

Comments