Team Effort

I really don't know if I can do this.

As I left the classroom and walked back to the dorm after a long day of classes from 8:00-5:30, I felt absolutely overwhelmed. It didn't help that my last class, a post-conference for my acute clinical rotation, had just dropped the bomb by informing me of all the details involved in my final exam and simulation next week. It finished my day with a bang...no pun intended.

I just don't know if I can do this. I don't have the time...or the energy...or even the intelligence...

For nursing majors, clinical finals and simulations are a big deal. You use critical thinking to find problems, come up with solutions, and implement them using practical skills. No study guide except your textbook, class notes, clinical experience, and the entire library and world wide web. You have to be ready for anything. Not to mention that it is all completed under the eyes of your professors, who ask you questions throughout the whole process. Needless to say, it is a little bit intimidating.

I left post-conference with all this information spinning in my head like a tornado. I almost began to feel dizzy. That's when my mind turned and began to think...

I really don't know it I can do this.

In my desperation, I spoke it aloud to the Lord, "I don't know if I can do this, God!" I blabbered to Him about everything, and when I finally paused long enough to hear His answer, He spoke to me by placing words on my heart.

"We can do this."

I don't know where those words came from except from God's heart to mine. Instead of speaking my hopeless thoughts aloud, I began to speak these new words aloud: "We can do this. We can do this."

It wasn't a "you can do this" but a "we can do this." God doesn't just give us what we need and then leave us. He doesn't hand us strength and then watch from afar. He doesn't equip us and walk away, hoping for the best. Instead, He holds our hands in His. He goes with us. He doesn't just give us strength, He is our strength, the ever-present souce right beside us all the way. Through life, death, pain, rejection, victories, temptations, despair, change...and even nursing school.

I may not be able to do it, but God can. More importantly, we can together. It's a team effort, with glory just around the corner.

Comments