Highest Handiwork


I had never seen a sunflower in real life, only in magazines, paintings, and on television. I knew they were big and beautiful, but my first experience with seeing one was unlike anything I will probably ever experience again. Not only did I see a sunflower, I was surrounded by a sea of smiling sunflower faces. And not only was that sunflower field standing tall and proud in the sunlight, but it was also densely populated with many delicate, broad-winged monarch butterflies.


As I wandered through this sunflower field, I met bright blooms at eye-level everywhere I looked. Dozens of butterflies danced in the breeze and fluttered from flower to flower. They slowly and softly opened and closed their wings, revealing their dainty markings that looked as if they were painted with a fine brush by the very finger of God.


I could hardly believe where I was standing. "I am surrounded by butterflies!" I yelled across the field. It was like I was in a butterfly exhibit, only there was no glass to close me in and no fake trees painted on the walls - just the vast blue sky and gentle wind.

I lifted my hands and spun around in freedom and delight, marveling at the beauty and magic of the moment.


"It is in moments like these that I know God loves us." I spoke in the middle of that bright sunflower field filled with magestic monarchs. Why else would He grow those flowers and bring those butterflies to flitter among them? Why else would He ordain the sun to shine and the yellow blooms to turn in its direction? Why does He cause the wind to whisper and butterfly wings to flap in the breeze? What purpose do they serve except to be noticed, enjoyed, and admired? They all declare the glory of God and His love for humanity. The purpose of creation is to be beautiful and point us to the one who is Beauty.

Just think: if that is how beautiful a sunflower can be, how much more beautiful are you, the crown of God's creation? He looks on you with delight and says, "You are beautiful because I made you." What He makes is not mediocre, middle-ground, run-of-the-mill, ordinary stuff. He proves this to us by showing us sunflowers and sunshine in all their splendor. He wants us to know without a doubt how gorgeous His creation is, only to realize that we are His highest handiwork.

"This is really sweet of you, Lord." I whispered back to Him with the sunflowers and butterflies joining in my praise, "It is in moments like this that I know that you love us."

Comments