The Great Turn-Around God

“How fast did we go?” I yelled to my dad when he stopped pedaling to give our legs a break.


“44!” He yelled back. I smiled as we flew past a speed limit sign that read 30.

Flying down big hills and seeing how fast you can go is only one of the many things that I love about biking. I also love the wind in my face that keeps me cool and the sun on my back that makes me sweat. I like watching the trees go by as I pedal along. The more mileage you cover, the more sights you see: windy lakes and trickling rivers, fields of wildflowers and horses, drifting clouds and brilliant sunsets. Riding with groups of friends and family is extra special because I love the camaraderie that comes with group cycling. I even enjoy the burning of my thighs when I climb a big hill and the sense of accomplishment when I reach the top.

It’s funny how I didn’t always enjoy biking. Running has always been my first preference, but this semester I injured my leg to the point that I was no longer able to jog. Instead of running for exercise, I began biking. At first, I biked with my dad on the tandem (two-person bicycle), but now I am learning to bike on my own and ride with groups. What I used as an alternative at first has become my favorite form of recreation! When I rode my bike this morning with a group of girls, I found myself actually thanking God for my hurt leg. Because I couldn’t run, I had discovered the joy of cycling.

We can all probably remember a time when something bad in our lives turned into something good. God is the worker of those miracles because He is the great turn-around God. But not only can God turn anything bad into something good, He is able to turn everything bad into something good. With God, every single bad thing can turn around to become something wonderful. There is no exception! That means whatever hardship or struggle you are facing now can become something beautiful. God is the master at taking ashes and creating beauty, taking the broken to create the whole.

It’s easy to go back and thank God for the hardships that He has already turned into beauty. That’s why it was easy to thank God for my hurt leg. Hindsight enables us to see the picture a little clearer. But what about the difficulties that we face right now? Have we thanked God for our troubles even though we haven’t seen the redemption yet? God is teaching me to be thankful for all my problems because He absolutely will make beauty from the brokenness when I trust Him to do so and when I surrender myself to Him.

Even though we may not be able to see it yet, we know that God is working behind the scenes of our struggles to turn around the situation. Difficulties become deliverance. Pain becomes passion. Hurt becomes a hunger for God. He is working to make it happen for us. And so let’s thank Him for the struggles and the stresses because of the hope we have. God is working to create beauty from the ashes.

Comments