The Pruning Process

Yard work day! Most people do not exactly get excited about mowing, weeding, trimming, and raking, but I enjoy spending all day outside in the yard. Plenty of sunshine plus a little bit of sweat and hard work makes for a good day.

Today, as I was picking up after my dad as he trimmed the bushes, I paused when a thought struck my head. These bushes only have a few months of optimal growth out of the entire year. And here we are, chopping off everything they have worked so hard to accomplish. My tender little heart almost felt sorry for our bushes as I watched their fresh green sprouts fall to the ground. But I remembered that cutting back the wild branches actually helps the plants to grow. Year after year, they only get bigger and bigger despite our trimming.

~~~

These past two weeks at home have not been easy for me. After a wonderful semester full of spiritual awakening and growth, I came home feeling on top of the world. Shortly thereafter, I felt like I was ripped from the mountaintop and beat to the ground. God humbled me greatly by revealing many of my sins. My broken heart cried out to God, Why, after such a great semester and season of growth, are you cutting me down like this? I felt so good, so close to you, and now I just feel broken and worthless.

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." (John 15:1-2)

That's when I realized that I was undergoing the pruning process. Never have I been more aware of it so completely. Just like those little shrubs, I was having all my unneccesary and ugly branches cut away so that I could be more beautiful, more productive, and more fruitful.

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love...I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." (vs. 9, 11)

Though this pruning process is difficult, it is so good. It gives me an opportunity to remain in God's love. It can even be a source of joy for me because I know that I am being shaped into the image of Jesus.

I don't feel so broken and worthless anymore. I am learning to lift up my head even when my sin makes me want to look at my feet. For when I lift my eyes, I see that God has not left me in my mistakes, but has reached out with arms of forgiveness, love, and healing. When I remain in that love, I am equipped with strength to conquer the sins that I struggle with. 

There is joy to sustain us through the pruning process.

Comments