Breathtaking

I could see the light at the end of the tunnel from the back seat of the car, but I had no idea what awaited me underneath that sky. Coming out of the tunnel was like yanking back the curtain to reveal the most spectacular sight I dare say I have ever seen. It was my first view of the valley of Yosemite National Park, and it absolutely took my breath away.

I will admit that I have described many amazing things in my life with the word "breathtaking" because they were just too beautiful to put into words. However, this time I actually think I quit breathing for a few seconds. It was like breathing would distract my other senses from taking in the beauty. There was so much to behold, that even breathing was forgotten for a moment.

The lush, forested valley nestled beneath enormous, sheer, granite rocks that jutted out of the ground. Like mountains, these gigantic solid rocks towered over the valley. Their vertical faces reached from the valley floor all the way to the clouds. In fact, some of the tops disappeared into the dynamic clouds. But that's not all. Coming out of nowhere, voluminous waterfalls tumbled off the tops of the monstrous cliffs. Where did all that water come from and why did it never run out? I cannot explain it, but tall, generous waterfalls poured down into the valley, filling its rivers with crystal clear snow melt.

My eyes tried to soak up everything in one view, but I could not get enough. If I had seen a picture of this place, I would have said that the artist made it up. Too perfect. It was like a scene from The Land Before Time. If I could create with my imagination my idea of the most beautiful place on earth, it wouldn't have looked as spectacular as this scene. (Pictures will be posted as soon as we get back from the trip, but I am warning you, I don't think a picture can do it justice.)

As I stood there, looking out over the valley, I could give credit and honor to only one person - the Creator of it all. I can't imagine how much fun He had making it. And I bet He has even more fun seeing us, His prized creation, enjoying it and giving Him glory for it. That's how much He loves us.

You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. (Isaiah 55:12)

I definitely heard some mountains singing and trees clapping in that valley. Creation serves no other purpose than to magnify and exalt the One and Only awesome God. Creation awes us so that we in turn can stand in awe of God. He is breathtaking!

Comments