A Life of Thanksgiving

"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 118:1

Fall leaves, pumpkin pies, apple cider, and the first logs in the fireplace are just a few of the things that make Thanksgiving my favorite holiday. Of course my favorite thing about Thanksgiving is Thursday morning when I get to see all the family members that I haven't seen in a long time. Then we spend all day talking, telling stories, laughing, eating together, and catching up on everything that has been happening in our lives. Something about that day and those moments we spend together makes me feel so warm. Maybe it's the warm colors of the leaves on the trees. Or maybe it's the warmth in the living room that feels so good after walking from the car in the cold winter air. Or maybe it's just that inward warmth that comes from a love that fills the house when all of my family is together in one place. It is love that isn't hindered by the fact that we haven't seen each other in a few years. That love (plus the fire in the living room and the hot homemade rolls in the kitchen) makes Thanksgiving such a warm holiday.

Sometimes I just wish thanksgiving could last all year! Then decorative pumpkins would always be on people's porches and pumpkin puree would always have a place on Kroger's shelves. I could always wear my favorite fall scarf, and I could always light my favorite autumn spice candle. Most of all, I could always be filled with that warm feeling that comes with a thankful heart.

But wait a second. Why can't it be thanksgiving all the time? Maybe we don't need the pumpkins, decorations, and sweet treats every day of the year, but why can't we have that warm feeling of thankfulness? This Thanksgiving, I realized that there is only one thing that truly makes my heart warm with thankfulness, and that is God's goodness and love. But God is good all the time, and His love endures forever!  Not just when the autumn spice candle is burning or when the turkey is hot out of the oven, but every moment of every day! Let that thought sink into your mind and soak your spirit. Let's not just celebrate a day of thanksgiving, but a life of thanksgiving.

Comments