Down, Set....HUT!

"Everybody huddle up!"

I ran over to my team as I was adjusting my green slip-on jersey and tieing the yellow flags to my belt. I poked my head in the huddle in order to see our first play. I stared at the circles, triangles, squares, and dotted lines, trying to determine which way was up-field and which way was down.

"Ready...break!"

Everyone else ran to their positions while I just stood there and asked helplessly, "Ummm...what do I do?"

"You are Y. Look, right here. Just run this way, and have fun!" A second later, she shoved the play sheet back into her jersey and ran to her place.

Still confused, I jogged to the place I thought I was supposed to be and shyly asked the girl next to me, "Which way are we going? Can you give me a brief rundown of the rules to this game?"

"Down...set...HUT!" The ball snapped and I ran like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Thus began my career as a flag football player! That's right, I know I don't look much like a football player, but I am determined to learn the game. I joined the C team in our club sports league, which means that I basically have no idea what I am doing out there on the field. I am pretty sure I looked absolutely ridiculous while playing, and it was quite clear to the onlookers that I didn't know anything about the sport of football.

However, last night I learned what linemen do and what a first down is! I pulled an opposing teammates flags on one occassion, and I even caught the ball one time! (But it didn't count because the pass had been dropped before it was thrown to me. I didn't know that, so I just kept running much to my embarrassment.) On another occassion, I ran smack into one of my teammates as we were both going for an interception. Let me just say that that flag football game was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. We were terrible! Yet we had so much fun learning and laughing together in an noncompetitive atmosphere.

Playing flag football was totally outside my comfort zone, but I cannot describe how much fun I had! Being on a team, trying something new, learning a few things, and laughing a ton were just a few of the rewards I gained from stepping outside my normal personality to attempt something crazy.

After the game, I stuck around for a while, talking to other girls in my club and catching up with friends. In the middle of regular conversation, the subject somehow turned very spiritual. One minute we were talking about the weekend, and the next minute one girl was sharing one of her struggles with us and telling us how we could pray for her. Spiritual conversation is sometimes outside of our comfort zones, but the rewards of stepping outside of those boundaries to audibly speak the name of Jesus are countless! Our conversation had meaning and significance as we were able to encourage each other, love on each other, and grow closer to each other just because we were talking about our faith.

At this stage in my journey I am learning that stepping outside my comfort zone and trying something new, whether that means talking openly about Christ in the middle of a conversation or joining a flag football team, leads to blessing as it brings about learning, growing, sharing, and great joy.

Comments