Let's Jump

With a spring in my step and a smile on my heart, I practically skipped down the sidewalk. The sun had just set, and a beautiful, peaceful darkness had settled over campus. I looked into the dark navy sky and took a deep breathe of the cool, still autumn air. With such beauty and peace surrounding me, I could not help but think about how beautiful our savior is. I do not think that I can even begin to explain how active He has been in my life this week. I don't think that He has been any more alive than any other week; it is me that has been more alive and in-tune to noticing His presence. Because of all the ways I had seen Him work this week, my whole spirit filled with praise as I walked down that sidewalk at dusk. I couldn't help but think about Him, and the more I thought about Him, the more this strange urge built up inside of me. Would it be weird if I just started spinning around? What if I just started jumping up and down with excitement? I just want to jump!

God is always at work in our lives, but sometimes we get too busy or distracted to really notice. I fell into that trap a while ago, but God has once again opened my eyes to see how active His hand is in my own daily life. Just this week at Wednesday night home Bible study, one girl said, "God has been doing so much in my life! He's just out of control!" She paused, "Well...really He is in control...but...you know what I mean!" That's how I feel about the Lord this week, and it kind of makes me want to just jump!

We talk often about the joy of the Lord, about celebrating Him, and about praising and worshipping Him joyfully. However, I am beginning to realize that my joy is often fairly mild. I used to think that joy and celebration in the Lord meant a big happy smile and a positive spirit. But really, our celebration should be out of control! Why don't we literally jump when God does something awesome? Why don't we actually spin around when He shows us His love? Why don't we laugh out loud and shout with joy when He reveals His faithfulness? I really want the joy of the Lord to literally make me jump and dance!

May God open our eyes this week to see His unbelievable, yet undeniable presence in our lives. May our awareness of His presence, power, and love fill us with a joy that literally makes us jump!

Comments