Christmas Lights

Every holiday season, our family tradition takes us to the square in downtown Fayetteville to see a fabulous display of Christmas lights. White lights, colored light, and sparkling decorations cover practically every square inch of the city block. With every tree trunk wrapped and every pathway lined with colorful lights, it is a magical and beautiful place to stroll around. So every year, my family grabs our scarves, hats, and cups of hot chocolate, and we joyfully walk around the square while laughing, taking pictures, and singing along to the Christmas music playing overhead.

Last night I attended the lighting ceremony on Harding's campus, which is a tradition that every student enjoys. After a countdown, the 85,000 LED lights popped on and the front lawn echoed with a celebratory cheer. The big bulbs of bluish holiday light dangle from all the trees, cover the bushes, and line the fences.

Then today I added some decor to our humble abode by stringing lights from the ceiling of our dorm room. I was pleasantly surprised to find that one string has a blinking bulb, so our room is extra spirited with blinking colorful lights that you can see if you happen to pass by our dorm.

Once Christmas season rolls around, lights pop up all around town, bringing an extra measure of light and joy to everyone's hearts. I have to say that lights are one of my very favorite things about Christmas. Every time I see a festive light display, I am reminded of the "true light that gives light to all men." (John 1:9) He is the light of the world who lightens our lives and overcomes our darkness with truth and hope. I am also reminded that every fabulous disaplay of lights is made up of individual lights that are tiny on their own. In the same way, the body of Christ is a huge display of little lights that all represent God's glory when they shine together. That's just one more reason that I love Christmas lights!

Comments

  1. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment