What's So Different About This Place

A tear slipped down my cheek when my plane took flight on May 28. Nine weeks. That's a long time to be away from home. I was Nicaragua-bound, but I had no idea what to expect when I got there. Would I be able to make friends with the other interns, the missionaries, and the Nicaraguans? Would I get homesick? What would I be doing? Would I enjoy the work? Nine weeks. It seemed like such a long time.

Now, seven weeks later, I am trying not to think about actually leaving. It seems like it can't be true. Nine weeks. How could nine weeks fly by so incredibly fast? I have seen so many amazing things, done so many wonderful works, been a part of so many beautiful stories, and built so many life-changing relationships. Now a tear slips down my cheek because I don't want to leave. Nine more weeks please?

I do not want to say good-bye because there is something different, something extra special about this place. It's not the beans and rice they serve for breakfast, the toilets that can't handle toilet paper, the rats in our room, or the stylish rainboots that we wear to keep us out of the mud (although I will miss every one of those things). What is it that makes this place so different, so attractive, so heart-warming, so breath-taking that I never want to leave? As I was reading my Bible yesterday morning, God revealed the answer to my question through this verse:

"When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts." Acts 11:23

That's it! It is the evidence of the grace of God in this place that makes it so extraordinary.

God's grace is evident in the church as Alberto preaches to a congregation living in dirt-floored homes that they should have endless joy because they are so blessed by the Lord.

God's grace is evident in the church as we stand together, hold hands, and sing a song called "Unified, Unified." Luiz says that the Nicaraguans and North Americans are brothers and sisters in Christ. Edwin says, "Our only difference is our language, which is not even a barrier to God. It is the same to Him."

God's grace is evident in the Nicaraguans as they are so willing to build relationships with us "gringos." (the word they use for North Americans) The friends I have made here in seven weeks have been developed through serving and worshipping together, and they are founded upon the love of the Lord.

God's grace is evident when I see people working together to serve others with the humble attitude and servant-heart of Christ.

God's grace is evident when it is perfectly normal to hug and kiss everyone you meet and tell them, "God bless you."

God's grace is evident when it only takes a smile and a hug to win a child's heart.

God's grace is evident when a woman will take the shoes off her feet and give them to a woman in need. It is evident when young girls will wash dirty feet with their bare hands.

God's grace is evident because I am seeking it with all my heart and sharing it with others. Really, there is nothing about Jinotega, Nicaragua, that makes it different from any other place in the world. God is active here just like He is everywhere in the world. The difference here is that I am more intentional in looking for it and being an agent of it. Yes, God's grace is evident, and that is certainly why I do not want to leave. Yet at the same time, God's grace is glowing everywhere, if only I open my eyes and focus my vision to see it.

Thank you, Lord, for this beautiful place, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to spend nine amazing weeks here. Thank you for making your grace evident to me through the people that I have met and come to love with all my heart. Lord, thank you for teaching me that your grace is evident everywhere. Through my time here this summer, you have trained my eyes to see you more clearly, and now I pray that you will prevent my vision from being clouded once I return home. May I always see your grace clearly, and may I always seek to embrace it and spread it like I do so passionately here. Your grace it amazing; it is enough; it is evident.

Comments