A Special Birthday Gift

"Who has the measuring tape?"
"Can you hand me some more nails?"
"Excuse me! Board coming through!"

I ducked as a 12-foot piece of wood swung over my head. Hammers were banging, nails were flying, saws were buzzing, and everyone was on a mission. We were not going to leave until this house was finished. Though the rain was pelting our sweaty shirts and our boots were sinking in thick mud, no one was complaining or standing around. Some were measuring boards; some were cutting them. A few people were making the door while a few more were nailing up siding. Some were roofing while others were flooring. And me - I was running around making sure that every team had what they needed. When I looked around the worksite, I saw twenty people scampering around the 20x15 foot house like ants on an anthill. At the same time, I have never seen any group of people more determined, more organized, or more energetic. Today, we were going to give this family a brand new house - and nothing was going to slow us down.

The current dwelling of this family was a shack made of sticks that were tied together with rope and covered with an old sagging tarp. Our construction project, a wooden home with a tin roof, was a significant step-up in size and quality in comparison to their old house. We had been working on this new house for two full days, and we were incredibly close to being finished. It was like that adrenaline rush that you get right before you cross the finish line. Suddenly, everyone was in full swing. We knew that the house was almost complete, so we poured every ounce of energy into pulling it together at the end of the day.

Around 4:30 PM, we cheered as Lester hammered the last nail into the last board of the house, but the best part was yet to come. We hosted the best housewarming party that I have ever seen. Welcoming the Nicaraguan family inside their new home, we prayed over them and gave glory to God for their new gift. And not only did we give this Nicaraguan family a housewarming party, but a birthday party as well. One of their daughters, Siomara, was turning ninteen on this special day. We sang to her, presented her with gifts, and even had some chocolate cake.

In tears, the mother of the household hugged every one of us and thanked us over and over again. "I am a single mom, and I have been praying for a house for years." Today, God answered that prayer through us. She continued, "I am so thankful to have this gift, especially on my daughter's birthday." What a wonderful birthday present - a gift from the Lord.

After many more hugs, kisses, tears, and picture-taking, we loaded up the vans and started to wave goodbye. Before we could leave, the mother of the household had one last request. "I would like to have one of your Bibles so that I can learn about your faith."

When it is all said and done, that is what it's all about.

Comments