Tortillas and Treasures

One of my favorite things about Nicaragua is the kitchen. That's right, the kitchen! At the mission, we are blessed to not only have some of the best meals come out of the kitchen, but some of the most wonderful people inside the kitchen. Marina, Angelita, and Estela are three great cooks, but more importantly, they are three beautiful women.

Today, sweet Marina invited Lacey and I to go grocery shopping with her in the local market. Eager to accompany her, Lacey and I happily put aside what we were doing to spend some time with her. As we were walking down the street and talking together, we passed by a small stand where a lady cooking tortillas on her iron grill. The delicious aroma caught my attention, so I paused for a second to watch her pat the dough and flip the patties on the stove.

"I want to learn how to make tortillas like that woman." I said, trying to make conversation. Then I turned and starting walking again.

But Marina stayed where she was standing and piped up, "I can teach you! It's easy."

Lacey and I perked up, looked at each other with great big smiles, and giggled with delight. Marina, catching on to our excitement, chimed in, "We can make them tonight!"

Marina quickly added corn flour to the grocery list, plus a few other spices that we would need to make homemade, hand-patted, fresh-off-the-stove, Nicaraguan tortillas. Then we went to the store, bought what we needed, and headed back to the kitchen with a mission.

I have never had more fun in the kitchen than when we made tortillas with Marina, Estela. and Angelita. Marina showed us how to make and mix the dough, pat it out with our hands, and fry it in the oil. Lacey and I kept our Nicaraguan chefs laughing as we made a mess of the kitchen. I am pretty sure that for every one tortilla I made, Estela made about four or five, which were nice and circular compared to my flaky, oblong attempts. However, Lacey and I had good teachers who were patient and kind, and we had the time of our lives cooking and laughing with them.

When we finally got to eat our masterpiece enchiladas, Marina was so proud of us. She told everyone that we made the tortillas, and we even got a compliment from one of the Nicaraguan partakers.


The best part about my day was not just learning how to make tortillas, but getting to make them with Marina, Angelita, and Estela. Their sweet hearts were evident as they so willingly, lovingly, and patiently taught Lacey and I how to make tortillas. They even went out of their way to do it. The tortillas were great, but the real treasure was found in building relationships with my sisters in Christ. I will forever remember the Nicaraguan kitchen: the place where I made tortillas and precious friends. To sit at the feet of these women, learn from them, and love on them is the greatest treasure of all.

Comments