Exhausted With Love

My hands are blistered, my arms are sore, and my face is sunburned, but my heart could not be any happier. Physically, I am absolutely exhausted from waking up at 5:45, working construction all day, helping cook and clean for dinner, and then preparing for the next day. A few nights ago, Emily and I got ready for bed, turned out the light, and looked at the clock. “Ashli, it is past 10:00! Why are we not in bed?” Laughing, I responded, “I should be so tired right now, but I just can’t go to sleep!” We stayed up even later telling funny stories and talking about our day. Although our bodies are worn out, our joyful spirits keep up alive and enthusiastic.


This week has been absolutely amazing in that I have seen and experienced things that I will store away in my heart forever and ever.

How could I forget the loud laughter of the children as we performed skits and puppet shows at VBS? Yet when we started telling them about Jesus, a respectful silence came over the room so that their ears could absorb every word.

I will never forget the sound of a chorus of white teenage girls singing praises to God for a group of Nicaraguan pregnant women at Casa Materna. And I made a new friend at Casa Materna this week – fourteen-year-old Alyeri – and I will always treasure the sound of her laugh. The image of joy on her face when she received her baby bag and Bible will be engraved in my mind forever.

When I close my eyes, I want to always be able to see the face of Norben when we gave him a backpack, a water bottle, a soccer ball, and a ride home. Though he might be an outcast because of his abnormality that makes him look like a hunchback, he is a treasure in the eyes of the Lord and in mine.

I will certainly never forget how hard our team worked to build a brand new home for a family that lived in a house the size of your closet.

I will also always remember the moment this week that I went on a mission in the pouring rain to get four backpacks. Earlier that morning I went to work construction on the house, and I met some kids who went to school but did not have any backpacks or school supplies. Several of the North Americans working with me were touched by these kids, so we were determined to get them backpacks and supplies. I had no idea how we were going to find the time to actually do it. We finished our work at 2:45 and were scheduled to go to Casa Materna at 3:00. “We have fiteen minutes! Let’s go!” In the pouring rain, we ran to the market, bought the bags, and came back wetter than puddles. Rain or shine, we have a job to do – to share Jesus with people.

Now you see why sixteen-hour workdays are the joy of my summer. From the moment I wake up to the moment I lay down, I have the privilege to work for the Lord. My job description: to look for needs and seek to meet them. Whether it is doing dishes, swinging a hammer, singing a song, or giving a hug and a pair of boots, every task becomes an opportunity to love and serve in the name of Jesus.

So I lay in bed at night, worn out and tired, but unable to go to sleep because of the smile on my face. I think I am exhausted with love.

Comments