A Little Goes A Long Way

Four little girls under the age of thirteen all huddled and giggled together at a distance as they watched the "gringos" (what they call us North Americans) working in their neighborhood. It is not everyday that they see a white-skinned, blonde-haired girl such as myself, so they gathered around our worksite to catch a glimpse of us strangers. However, we weren't strangers for long. Grabbing some blank pages of paper and a box of crayons, I made four new friends: Yorlin, Keylin, Rebeca, and Belking. We colored and laughed together, and because they asked me to, I signed every girls' paper with my full name. One little girl even wrote "friends forever" between her name and mine. It is amazing how such small gifts of love and attention go such a long way.


A few days later, I returned to the same neighborhood to help with VBS in their church. As I set up the materials outside, I heard someone shouting my name,"Ashli! Ashli! Ashli!" When I looked up, there stood Yorlin, Keylin, Rebeca, and Belking. The huge smiles on their faces melted my heart. They remembered my name! I bent down to give each girl a giant hug and a big kiss on the cheek. A small gift such as a box of crayons and a little love goes a long way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On another day, we did a VBS at the church building right next to the mission in Jinotega. After it was all over, the children once again did not want to leave. Three little children in particular tagged around at the end of the day. I gave them each a heart-shaped bracelet and some stickers, and we joyfully played and laughed together for a little while longer.

The next day, as soon as I arrived back at the mission after a long day at work, the same three children greeted me with bright smiles. It was like they had been waiting there all day for our arrival. In their hands they held a Christmas gift bag stuffed with old newspaper. Shyly placing it in my hands, they ran off and hid behind a nearby vehicle. I could see their faces excitedly peeking out from behind the truck to watch me open it. Inside a dirty cardboard box and crumbled paper I found three little bracelets, some homemade earrings, and a sheet of stickers. I was so excited that I ran after the children to give them great big hugs. I must have said, "Muchas gracias" twenty-five times!

The only thing I gave to them was some stickers and a bracelet, but such a simple gift of love made a big difference to them. In the same way, their simple gift to me made a huge difference in my life. Every time I wear my bracelet or earrings, I am reminded that a little love goes a long way.

Comments