Learning the Lifestyle

I am a bubble about to burst. With every day that has passed since I arrived in Jinotega, Nicaragua, a huge breath has been pumped into my balloon, making it tighter and tighter and tighter with excitement.

The last couple of days have been good, but not really very eventful. I am still getting settled in, learning my way around town, and getting to know the missionaries and other interns that I will be working with this summer. That means that the majority of my time has been spent inside the mission complex preparing for VBS, getting ready for some church groups to come this weekend, and doing dirty dishes.

I will admit that these last few days of "down time" have been difficult for me. I would even say that you could call me a little stir crazy. Since the moment I set foot in Nicaragua, my feet have been itching to go somewhere, to do something, and to serve someone. I want to go to the day care, the school, the medical clinic, and the maternity house. I want to read books, give shots, play with kids, and pass out supplies. I am ready to step outside the mission complex and work! I have learned, however, that all of that comes in good timing. Right now, it is time to rest.

I am not very good at resting. Instead, I find myself trying to stay busy as much as possible. I feel like the busier that I am, the more productive I am. However, God has gently reminded me these past few days that there is great power in resting. Down time is not pointless, but rather very purposeful. Because I have not had much on my schedule these last few days, I have had time to observe the culture, get to know the other interns, and watch the missionaries do their daily job. Most of all, I have had time to adjust, rest, and get excited! Down days inflate my bubble with so much excitement that I will be bursting at the seams by the time the first church group arrives and we are sent on our first project.

One of the main reasons that I came to Nicaragua for an entire summer was to spend a longer time on the mission field than I ever had in the past. I love short term mission trips, but I am ready for something more. I have always felt God calling me to mission work in my future, so this summer I am seeking to learn more about the lifestyle of a missionary. Being here two months will give me a bigger view than just the two week peek that comes with short term missions. The first thing that I have learned is that the lifestyle of a missionary includes down days. It is during those days that you can rest, re-energize, and hear from the Lord. Those days give you time to prepare, plan, and gain passion.

So maybe these down days are not as uneventful as I originally thought. It is in this time that I have become a bubble bursting with energy and momentum. All this rest and preparation has built in me a passion that is burning to be released. Maybe there is some value in learning how to wash dirty dishes after all.

Comments

  1. cherish these days of rest that God is giving you! He is building your passion so you will be able to serve the Nicaraguans with your full body, mind, and soul!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment