Good-bye, Schedule

Back home in the United States, I usually wake up each morning with a million thoughts running through my head. What do I have planned today? What do I have to do and how long do I have to do it? How much can I possibly check off my to-do list in twenty-four hours?

But here, it is different. When my eyes pop open in the mornings, my schedule does not preoccupy my thoughts. Instead, only one simple goal fills my heart: to love God and serve His people.  Who can I love in the name of Jesus? How can I encourage someone else? How can I be the hands and feet of Jesus today?

My life in the United States is complex and busy, and it distracts my attention away from the things that really matter. But here, where living is simple, I have a more focused passion. I have nothing to do but look for God at work and join Him. I have no other appointments than to look for needs and seek to meet them. I have no other plans except to serve others with the love of the Lord. The only thing written on my calendar is to make the most of every opportunity  and to represent God in all I do.

This is one lesson that I will take home with me when I fly back to the States in about seven weeks. What if I didn't wear a watch or keep a calendar? What if I threw away my to-do lists? What if the only thing I had to do every day was to love and serve others? When I step out of the way and let God take control of my daily schedule, then I will be more tuned to His mission. Whether it is just giving a hug, a smile, a word of encouragement, a cup of cold water, or a foot wash - the number one priority on my daily planner every day should be to point people to Jesus through my words and actions.

Lord, when I wake up every day, may the first thing I think be this: What can I do for you today? May my schedule never get in the way of living simply and loving greatly. And if it ever does, feel free to interrupt my routine. I will gladly accept any interruptions that give me an opportunity to obey you.

Comments