"I was blind, but now I see!"

I received my training in optometry today as I worked in a medical clinic in the remote jungles of Nicaragua. After driving two hours into the middle of nowhere, we arrived at the location of our mobile medical clinic, and I was assigned to work in the eyeglasses center. We saw around eighty patients today, and I had the priveledge to give some of them eyes exams in spanish. I even learned how to make glasses, which is something that I can now add to my resume!

We gave eye exams the old fashioned way, which meant that each patient would try on several pairs of glasses and then tell us which one worked the best. Some Nicaraguans, upon hearing that we were giving out free glasses, decided that they wanted a pair even if they could see just fine. For this reason, we also had a pair of glasses without prescription lenses in them. After the patient tried on several pairs, we would give them the placebo pair...just in case. It was a little bit funny whenever someone would put on the fake pair and respond excitedly, "This is the best pair yet! I can see great!"

The best part of my day was serving the people that really needed help with their vision. You could tell that they really needed glasses because their faces would light up when they put on just the right pair. I will always remember the joy I saw in one little girl's face as she held a book to her face and exclaimed that she could actually read the words. It reminded me of the first time that I put on my glasses. I remember the excitement I felt when I could see clearly every leaf on the trees. I did not know what I had been missing until I could finally see the details.

By far, the highlight of my day was when this one elderly lady found a pair of glasses that fit her just right. Her face beamed as she shook each of our hands and thanked us. As she left, she said, "When I came in here, I could not see anything. But now, I can see!"

Her simple exclamation reminded me of a line from the song "Amazing Grace".

"I once was lost, but now I'm found. I was blind, but now I see."

Jesus brought light to so many blind eyes. He gave clarity to many who needed vision. Today, I felt like I was able to be a small part of that mission. I pray that the lady, the little girl, and all the patients that we saw today not only left with a pair of glasses, but with a glimpse of the love of the Lord. I hope that they can see clearly all the leaves on the trees and all the words on the pages of a book. But most of all, I hope that they can see clearly that we gave them a gift of love and service because of Christ. May they see Him with the clearest vision of all.

Comments

  1. This is a neat experience, Ashli! I'm excited you get to do those things! And it reminded me of the Casting Crowns song "And Now My Lifesong Sings". I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lea! I love that song, and here is a link to it for anyone to listen to it:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx1_7gfCy38

    I miss you, too, Lea! I know God is doing great things in your life as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment