The Best Fiesta

Mexican casserole, spanish music, and a giant rooster pinata make a great party, but what really makes a fiesta wonderful is the people that come. To honor the workers, staff members, translators, and preachers that work for Mision Para Cristo, we interns hosted a fiesta for them and their familes. Over fifty people showed up, and we celebrated with dinner, a pinata, and coke floats (which was a first for many of the Nicaraguans)!

As I looked around the room at all the precious people that I have come to love, I thought about Jesus words from Luke 14:12-14.

Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

I noticed Jose, the janitor and gatekeeper, who looked like he was having the time of his life. I wondered if he had ever even been to a party before. I noticed Doris, a lady from the church in Jinotega. We drove to her house in the slums to invite her and her family. I noticed Marina, Angelita, and Maria, who are the housekeepers for us. They were delighted to be served a meal that they did not have to cook, and we were delighted to serve them in return for all the meals that they have served us. Looking at all of these people seated at the tables, I realized that not one of them could ever give us a gift in return. Yet nothing brought us more joy than to have them all together in one place and to serve them and honor them in love.

The best part of the party was when we (the interns) presented every worker with a gift. We called them each by name to come to the front, where we addressed them with a blessing. Previous to the party, we selected a Scripture for each worker and wrote it in english and spanish on a colorful card. At the party, we read them the Scripture, explained to them why we chose it, and gave them a blessing. I cannot explain the joy I saw in their faces as they received such a simple, but powerful gift. At the end of the party, we took a group picture, and there is something special about this picture that I did not even notice until I looked at it later.


They are all holding up their notes in the air like prizes! I pray that they will read those hand-picked and hand-written cards over and over and over again. Even more than that, I pray that God will speak to them, encourage them, and challenge them through the messages of His powerful Word.

I cannot express how much of a blessing it was to me to see the joy in their faces. We gave such a simple gift of an invitation to a party, but the love and service poured out in that place was powerful beyond words. I thank God for the best fiesta ever because I believe He pulled it together. Now it is up to Him to take the seeds that we have delicately planted and make them grow. I have full confidence that He will.

Comments