If I Were Given a Stalk, the Ocean, and the Sky...

The sunset on the beach took my breath away. The highlight of my weekend retreat to the Barcelo Resort in Nicaragua was this moment  - watching the sun paint the sky with glowing colors as it sank into the ocean. I could not watch such a spectacular display without thinking about my beautiful Savior. As I stared out at the vast waters and endless sky, the words to an old hymn came to my mind.

Could we with ink the ocean fill,
and were the skies of parchment made.
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
and every man a scribe by trade.
To write the love of God above
would drain the oceans dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
though stretched from sky to sky.

As I sang the words, I began to think about all the things that I would write if I were given a stalk, the ocean, and the sky. God's love has become so visible to me while I have been here in Nicaragua. If I were to write about His love, I would write about the children in Nicaragua with bare feet, dirty clothes, unkempt hair, and the biggest smiles and hugs you have ever seen. I would write about the church in Jinotega and how loudly they sing to the Lord. I would write about the women at Casa Materna when they hold their newborn babies with pure love in their eyes. I would write about the groups that come here to give their time, love, and service to the Nicaraguans. 

Were I given a stalk, the ocean, and the sky, I would write about all the things that God has taught me about His love. It is unconditional, unfailing, and unending. It is so wide, high, long, and deep that it stretches across the world and its cultures. It is unaffected by wealth and status. It is richest in the poorest places. It is most generous in the hearts of the people who are not distracted by materialism. It is shown through simple means and through small measures, like words of encouragement, a touch on the shoulder, washing feet, or a gift of a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. Sometimes it is not fireworks, but small sparks - sparks that may seem small but still bring light. They may even start a fire that changes a life.

I would also record all the things that God has taught me about His love. His love has been poured out to me so that I can pour it out to others in return. It overflows from my heart into everything that I say and do. It motivates me to serve; it moves to love. Because of God's generous love to me, I have the great gift of being able to give generously in response. God's love is something I show by looking for needs and seeking to meet them with the love of Christ.

Once my pen starts writing, it is hard to find a stopping place. I feel like I could fill the sky just with stories from this summer in Jinotega, and that does not even include the other nineteen years of my life. That is why the sky would fill up and the ocean would run dry before I could finish writing about God's love.

So thank you, God, for showing me your love here in Nicaragua. Thank you for teaching me about it from a new perspective, and thank you for helping me learn how to show it every day. The sky is not big enough and the ocean not deep enough to express the extent of your great love. Thank you for sending the sunset to remind me of that. It was beautiful, but you are the most beautiful of all.

Comments