The Rescue

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have recieved from God." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Last night, I experienced the comfort of the Lord in a powerful way, and I would like to share a piece of it with you. God, the God of compassion and comfort, sends encouragement and comfort at just the right times. I believe that His special comfort is meant to be contagious; it is meant to be shared. Just like God washed me with His comfort last night, I pass the bowl of encouragement to you so that you may wash in His perfect comfort as well.

It is in times of weakness that we are most susceptible to temptation. Last night was one of those nights for me. I was stressed out about final exams, exhausted from late nights, worried about some of my relationships, and feeling guilty about past mistakes. It is when all those troubling emotions build up that Satan decides I'm most vulnerable, and so he adds the burdens of my eating disorder to my plate so that I begin to feel old habits trying to find a foothold. Last night, all the fears, worries, stresses, and sadnesses built up into a pile of discouragement and distress. I didn't know where to begin or how to fight.

In my mind, I know that moments such as these are the best grounds for temptation. When I am weak, tried, and emotionally panicked, that's when I know the enemy will attack. When I am weak, the enemy seems stronger. BUT God says that when we are weak, He is strong! So last night, in my overwhelming battle of brokenness, when I didn't know how to overcome the heavy and burdensome feelings that twisted in my stomach, God reminded me of a simple, but powerful truth. When I am weak, He is strong!

Whenever I don't know what to do about my discouragement (which I find myself in that place very often), the only thing I can do is turn to God's Word. There is a little green and yellow polka dot box on my shelf that I made a few years ago. I call it my "joy box" because it is filled with my favorite verses, songs, quotes, and pieces of truth and encouragement from the Lord. Over time, as I've added more Scriptures, that little box has begun to overflow with little gifts of love and comfort for the times of my life when I feel most desperate. Last night, as I thumbed through the many index cards and scraps of paper, I found a little slip of notebook paper with something written in my hurried handwriting. It said: Need Encouragement? 2 Samuel 22!

I posted a link here (www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Samuel%2022&version=NIV ) that you can read it for yourself. In that chapter were the words of God that I needed in my time of darkness. David talks about how he feels like His enemy is hovering over him and trapping him in a pit. But when He called out to God, God's righteous anger swept the enemy away and restored David to a spirit of freedom, worship, and praise. Last night, in my pit, I cried out to the Lord and told Him that I felt like the enemy was after me. And then, it was like God became angry that the enemy would try to rob my joy, so He reached down from heaven to scatter my enemies and restore me to a resting place in His presence. (See verses 14-19. They are my favorites!)

It's amazing how God's truth transforms. After I cried out to God and asked Him to scatter my enemies because they were too strong for me, He took hold of me and drew me out of the pit with His comfort and love. This morning, a friend reminded me of a song that I would also like to share with you. It is called "Carried to the Table" by Leeland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn9aX38mjaE&feature=fvw

Thank you, awesome God, for the comfort you so generously give when we are so undeserving. Thank you for being so strong when we are so weak. God, we cry out to you in our weaknesses because we need you to help us overcome. Crush our enemy, the devil, and destroy any strongholds he has. Lord, lift us out of the pit and carry us to your table of grace, mercy, and love. Fill our minds with your truth, your comfort, your encouragement, and your light. We run to you and love you, God. Thank you for the rescue!

Comments